Topic ClosedUS tour - eastern states 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - eastern states 2015
    Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 11:46pm
I'm baaack.  Before I forget, here is my wife's blog, which includes posts from the last 2 year's trips.  With very limited internet access over the last week there aren't any pics yet, and only a few posts for this trip:  http://gaede4inthepod.blogspot.com

We had a great trip down to the Everglades and back.  We took an air boat ride (great) and swamp buggy tour (meh).  We literally had the campground to ourselves the 2nd night - Midway campground run by the NPS.  No more idiots on the highway.  Just an idiot in the driver seat, more on that in a bit.

We made our way up to Little Talbot Island State Park east of Jacksonville.  Very neat place, lots of seclusion between sites, definitely want to go back again.  Just watch out for the killer branches.  Until now I've always had my girls spot me as I backed into our campsites, but this time it was a pull-through and it looked like I had a ton of room.  But I needed another inch or two on the left side apparently since a branch drug down most of the left side leaving a long dent and then caught on the rear corner trim and ripped a whole section of siding off of the back wall.  Yeah, not a happy Doug.  I spent some time banging it back into shape and doing a temporary duct tape fix.  Today I got a roll of white Gorilla tape (after hearing about it for years) and I'm sold, I will never be without it.  Super sticky, very thick.  Covered up all of the open edges nicely and I'm not worried about water intrusion or it ripping off on the highway.  When I get home I'm going to have to look up RV siding and corner trim and I'm sure it will be most of a Saturday getting the rear wall back in shape.  Not hard, just will take some time.  Excuse me while I beat my head on the nearest wall.  Oh, and we've had problems with our fridge.  The freezer is staying very cold, down to 12 F, but the fridge got up to near 60 at one point.  Deja-vu, same as last year.  Let me beat my head on that wall again.  I think the problem has been with the temperature sensor and I've been playing around with it.  Tonight I finally saw it down to 38-40 so I think I'm on the right track.  I also fixed the baffle behind the fridge since it was falling apart.

Don't get me wrong, we are having a great trip.  Tomorrow we are off to see Magnolia Gardens and Fort Sumter in Charleston.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 8:42pm
Sounds like you're having a great time Doug! Gorilla Tape - never leave home without it. Good tip on the white. I've only been carrying the black.

So you really did do the Everglades in July?! Wow, you are a brave group! Skeeters didn't have toll booths setup along Tamiami Trail (41)? Not surprised you had campground to yourself!

Did you get to Shark Valley? Airboat thing is fun, especially for kids like you and me. At Billy Swamp Safari you can watch the alligator wrestle. Is kinda depressing cuz the alligator wrestler only has four teeth and the gator two.

Stop beating your head against the wall. Don't want to hurt the wall!

Keep on keeping on. By the time you get back crab prices should be coming down.

Have fun!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 12:05am
Not too hot, and no problems with mosquitos.  We did load up on the sunscreen and bug spray when we did the Wooten's tours, but even back at the campsite after taking showers (so no bug spray) I had no problems with bugs.  Now on the way up to Charleston we hit 104 yesterday and it sounds like Florida got up to about the same temps.  Didn't go to Shark Valley.  Oh, and fridge is down to 34 as I write this so i hope that holds.  Gotta run, the computer battery is low.
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 10:52am
Doug, please be sure to let us know if any miracles turn up on the fridge temperature sensor...?
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:49pm
Uneventful today, just slept in and drove to Carolina Beach State Park, we are hanging around a campfire right now. Fridge temp is still good. Final solution was to pull as much of the wire into the fridge then get the tip where the sensor is as high as possible. Temps in the 30s since yesterday, yay!

So far the Gorilla tape is holding. Hope it is keeping the water out, we hit some big downpours again today.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 10:47pm
Had a great time touring the USS North Carolina, that was really interesting, and then we made our way to Williamsburg.  Had a lazy day today, a little pool time and getting supplies.  Tomorrow we'll tour Williamsburg.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:17am
Where did you stay in Williamsburg Doug? Are you gonna share with us the picture of you in the stockade?

fred
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:48am
Pictures= evidence !!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 12:16am
There's a KOA nearby, two downsides though.  A fairly busy road on one side of the campground, and an active rail line on the other.  Trains maybe every 1-2 hours.  Not horrible especially with a hardside camper as long as you are camped by the road (opposite side from the trains).  I've experienced worse at the campground owned by Hershey - that one they couldn't pay me to stay at again.  I would camp at this KOA again if necessary but I would explore other options.  Great staff, everyone we met was truly happy and helpful.

Ha!  Yeah pics have been scarce on the blog since internet access has been either very bad or non-existent at many of our stops.  I'm only barely online tonight.  I'll tell her you are looking for the stockade pic!  Good time at Williamsburg, we were there from open to close.

Then a night at home (laundry, oil change, resupply the camper, nice long hot showers), then on to a state park near Steamtown, then a day at Steamtown including a train ride and museum tour.  On to a state park near Niagara (4 Mile Creek, I would come here again) and a full day around the falls today.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 5:15pm
OK, now I need a pic of you in your rain gear on the Maid of the Myst or in a barrel going over and yelling....Geronimo!!

fred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>