R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Marx View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing
    Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:19am
Originally posted by techntrek

Chevy!

Toyota Tacoma lol.

In all seriousness our Tacoma is great.  It is comparative to a full size truck.  Our Mercury Mountaineer is now the family tow vehicle.  We got this used not intended to be the tow vehicle for camping trips but it came setup and had a 6880 lbs capacity so I knew it would be able to if we needed it and it does a great job too as our family grew and now it is the duty vehicle.  Just research and get out there and see what works best for your needs.
2014 R-POD 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 11:46pm
Chevy!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:25pm
no not the ramDisapprove...................it'll burn up in no time..............F150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up   hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Jamie&Nicole View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm
No never in OD also had equalizer hitch and electric brake, again in ,Montana up and down lots of grades so it just went quicker then most! Think we have decided to go with a RAM 1500! Thanks everyone! Also agree with Bob never listen to Rv dealer about what u can tow, lol they are out to sell RVS LOL WHO KNEW! lession learned love our pod so all will be well! Happy trails!
cdremy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Jamie&Nicole

Can anyone help me with a towing question?   We purchased an rpod 178 2015 this year and towed it with a 2007 Ford Escape v6 that we were told would be able to handle towing duties for the rpod of this size. After 4 trips, the transmission gave out so we are now trying to decide if we need to go for an f150 or if a Nissan Xterra would be able to handle the job. We don't want to have to go through vehicles like this again. I know the f150 is a safe bet but we are interested in the Xterra as well.   Thank you. 😀
You weren't towing in over drive were you Thats kind of a no no
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 7:32am
We just got back from our first LONG trip with our 178 - Charlotte to Lake Ontario. After driving through the Blue Ridge & Allegheny Mountains with my 4x4 Xterra (factory tow package - 5k capacity) I've decided to sell it and get an 8cyl truck (F150 4x4 or their ilk).
The Xterra does fine, but you can sure feel the Rpod behind it and going up those hills I just want more power. 
If we were only planning a half dozen shorter trips a year around the SE the Xterra would be fine, but we are close to full-time retirement with plans of extensive traveling in time and distance. The F-150 will make our trips much more comfortable not to mention safer. 
If the truck works OK for you when not traveling then to me it's a no brainier. 
Fly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:30am
I have the V6 4X4 Escape with the factory tow package and yes it says its rated for 3500 lbs. The fact that it has the small size receiver tells you more about its towing capacity. One RV dealer I talked to didn't even bat an eye when I told him what RV I was looking at and what I would be towing with. I don't think anybody should go by an RV dealers advice on towing. When I inquired at a hitch company about towing an R-Pod the first thing they told me was I would need a larger capacity hitch receiver and advised me not to use the Escape because of the very reason what happened to you. I found a used full size pickup to use for less than what a rebuilt transmission in the Escape would cost. The cost to put a receiver, wiring and brake controller on the pick-up was the same amount as what it would have required on my Escape. Fortunately for me I have enough room at my home to park both the pickup and R-Pod out of the way when not in use.
2015 R178 R-Pod
1998 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Ford Escape

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 10:29pm
Yea the problem was our AM package did not add any transmission cooler. Really the escape struggled to pull it from the beginning. We were looking at trading up. Not so great when it happens a week before you two week planned camping trip but we will be better off. The more you look in to the escapes as TV the more you figure out they are just not up for the job. However two dealers one Ford one GMC today told us AM tow package you need to cut your load in half of what your rated. Anyhow we will be able to pull much more than we need with a truck and living in Montana I am sure we will find lots of uses for it! :)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:57pm
Ok, I did more checking and the V6 can do 3500 "when properly equipped".  Usually that means adding a transmission cooler for smaller tow vehicles.  Larger TVs also add oil coolers, larger alternators and sometimes other stuff.  We towed our pod with a Sienna (3500 pound capacity)  for 2 years w/o a problem.  Towed an even-heavier popup with another minivan also rated for 3500 pounds for several years and with the Sienna for 5 years.  There are many others here that tow with 3500 pound rated TVs.  That said, once I knew we would be pulling long-distance and over the Rockies we moved to a Suburban.

If the aftermarket "package" included the same items the factory would have installed your towing capacity would be the max rated.  I've never heard of any "rule" about cutting capacity in half.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:46pm
The Escape was rated to tow 3500 per the owners manual. Well under our rpod. We were told today however that if you have a after market tow package (which we did) then you should only two half of what your vehicle is rated for. Would of been good to know. Lesson learned we love our rpod and will buy what we need to tow it! Think we have definitely Narrowed it down to a truck. Now trying to figure out RAM vs F150.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>