R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing
    Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:06am
Can anyone help me with a towing question?   We purchased an rpod 178 2015 this year and towed it with a 2007 Ford Escape v6 that we were told would be able to handle towing duties for the rpod of this size. After 4 trips, the transmission gave out so we are now trying to decide if we need to go for an f150 or if a Nissan Xterra would be able to handle the job. We don't want to have to go through vehicles like this again. I know the f150 is a safe bet but we are interested in the Xterra as well.   Thank you. 😀
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 7:15am
As you can see below, I'm a GM sort of guy, so I can't speak to either of the mentioned vehicles. Here are a few generalities that we may want to consider:

Longer wheelbase = better

More horsepower/torque = better (think V8)(developing the peak, in both, lower in the RPM range is better)

Factory tow package = better. Will likely come with a OEM hitch, wiring, HD cooling (radiator & transmission) perhaps a bigger alternator (for increased electrical load, etc. It will also likely have a suitable rear gear for towing.

Of the 2 mentioned, I would lean towards the F150. It has been the best selling pickup for years and enjoys a good reputation among it's owners. That many people can't be wrong. (think resale/trade-in)

I had an "old timer", years ago, tell me to buy twice as much towing capacity as you need and you'll do OK. (if you intend to tow 3000lbs, get something rated to tow at least 6000lbs) He is/was a smart man!

johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 8:05am
Those are two very different vehicles....
How often will you tow, and what do you need to do with the vehicle when not towing?
The Xterra will tow OK, but may be more useful the other 95% of the time if you only camp a few times a year....
My 2013 Pathfinder is an overall great daily driver/family vehicle and does just fine towing the two/three times a year we get a chance to take vacations.
I fully agree with David's points above and would also highly recommend the F150 all things being equal
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:17am
We tow with a f150 Eco boost v6, really like it, 21 mpg not towing, 12 to 14 towing the rpod plenty of power 
 Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:17am
xTerra's have a bad rep in the tranny dept. If those are your two choices, the F150 is the better of the two. Doing truck stuff it's best to use a truck. 
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:51am
I would certainly agree that longer wheelbase, more power and more torque are advisable.  But, there are other alternatives to the pick-up.  We started with a Chevy Astro van and after a year decided that we needed more if we were really going to do long distance, long term towing.  We did a lot of research and decided on the Ford Expedition.  It has most of the same characteristics as a Ford F150, but has the enclosed body style we needed.  there are other, larger vehicles that will do the same-Chevrolet, Dodge, Plymouth, GMC all make equivalent models to the Expedition.

I can say that the Expedition EL with factory tow package does a great job of towing,  We have towed the R Pod from NC across country to the west coast, to the Adirondacks and to Florida so far with no problems.

Choose your tow vehicle by doing a lot of research and closely examine your real needs.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:08pm
A quick search says your old vehicle was good for 1500 to 2000 pounds towing capacity.  Even the lightest pods are heavier than that, and the 178 is one of the heaviest.  A 178 fully loaded with options and water is over the limit for a vehicle that can pull 3500 pounds!  I'm not surprised the tranny died.  Who said it would be ok?  The pod dealer?

Either of the new vehicles is ok, the Xterra is good for 5000 pounds and the F150 for 5000 to 9000 depending on options.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 5:22pm
All good points have been made, I would also recommend measuring the distance from the rear axle to the receiver opening. This is overhang. Short overhang= better.

I agree with the point made about what percentage of driving is towing and daily driver.  For most people, the SUV that can tow is a better choice, both for functionality and fuel economy. If you don't need the payload (bed) of a pickup, stick with an SUV or crossover that has 5000 tow capacity, and good torque.

Maybe you might be able to buy a used tow vehicle (truck) if money and parking space permit.

I only have money/space for one vehicle that must do it all.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Jamie&Nicole View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:46pm
The Escape was rated to tow 3500 per the owners manual. Well under our rpod. We were told today however that if you have a after market tow package (which we did) then you should only two half of what your vehicle is rated for. Would of been good to know. Lesson learned we love our rpod and will buy what we need to tow it! Think we have definitely Narrowed it down to a truck. Now trying to figure out RAM vs F150.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:57pm
Ok, I did more checking and the V6 can do 3500 "when properly equipped".  Usually that means adding a transmission cooler for smaller tow vehicles.  Larger TVs also add oil coolers, larger alternators and sometimes other stuff.  We towed our pod with a Sienna (3500 pound capacity)  for 2 years w/o a problem.  Towed an even-heavier popup with another minivan also rated for 3500 pounds for several years and with the Sienna for 5 years.  There are many others here that tow with 3500 pound rated TVs.  That said, once I knew we would be pulling long-distance and over the Rockies we moved to a Suburban.

If the aftermarket "package" included the same items the factory would have installed your towing capacity would be the max rated.  I've never heard of any "rule" about cutting capacity in half.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>