Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Questions
    Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 10:37am
Looking to buy a r 177/178 really like these. where is battery located on trailer and how long does battery last ? I know that is tough to answer but just ballpark figure using minimum power just lights etc staying at primitive campground. Also where and how much are the tent/awning for side of unit can not seem to find anywhere. I have been down to local dealer and am heading there soon but would like to be a little more knowledgeable. Any other hints, heads up or other useful info would be greatly appreciated.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 12:42pm
The battery is located on the tongue. Battery life entirely dependent on how you use it. Assuming you run the fridge  on propane, the biggest user is the furnace. If you're not camping in very cold weather the battery should last several days, maybe 5-6. Also assumes the interior lights are all LED or have been converted. I think the new campers come with LEDs.

The next thing to know is you should immediately toss the single GP 24 battery found on new campers and replace it with two 6 volt GC2 220 AH golf cart batteries. Much better than even two GP24s. If you're buying new you should negotiate with the dealer up front so he replaces the batteries before delivery.

No help on R-Dome cost. Watch the buy/sell section f this forum. I think FR wants ~$500, but I don't know for sure. Others may help.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
chief54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:47pm
thanks for the info, I am new to all of this never had one before so I have some basic questions, what size portable generator would you need for this and does refrig work on propane or is it electric and when driving dow the road does truch recharge battery
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:58pm
I'm not a generator owner, but from what others have posted, if you plan to run the air conditioner with the generator, you'll probably need a 3,000 watt.  Otherwise, a 2,000 watt will probably be adequate.  The fridge is 3-way (propane/battery/110).  Use the battery setting only when towing, since it will devour a battery very quickly.  Your tow vehicle will recharge your battery while towing, assuming you have the proper wiring.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:18pm
If you will only be recharging your battery you can go as low as 1000 watts.  If you want A/C or microwave (not at the same time) you'll need 2400 minimum.  Some can get by with 2000 but that is pushing it especially if you climb in altitude and/or it is very hot out.  The safe amount is 3000 since it will work at any altitude or temperature.

As for the connection between the pod and TV (tow vehicle) make sure the charge line is at least 10 gauge, 8 preferably.  Most installers or factory equipment is 12 gauge.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply