R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Crimped Gas Line Shortcut- Anyone Seen This Before
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrimped Gas Line Shortcut- Anyone Seen This Before

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimped Gas Line Shortcut- Anyone Seen This Before
    Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 11:41pm
It's been an eventful first three trips in the new pod.  Having some hiccups here and there, but this one so far takes the cake.

Backstory: Our propane stove has worked for the most part, but a bit sporadically.  At first it was slow to light, and it would eventually come up to full flame.  However, on this last trip it would not work at all.  Since I had refilled the propane bottle I initially chalked it up to air in the line.  We had very sporadic internet and phone connections in Yosemite, and I couldn't for the life of me find an explanation on how to actually purge air out of a gas line.  I tried turning off the propane at the bottle, turned off all appliances (fridge, furnace, water heater, stove) and then turned it on again (by the way, all the other appliances were working without a hitch and all at the same time).  Tried lighting the stove to no avail.  Not a whisper of propane (I realize now since I've gotten home and have an internet connection that there is a way to make this work).  However, since I didn't have this information at the time, I crawled under the trailer and traced the gas lines.  I found the "T" to the fridge, and after that I found this little gem:

The hose was crimped at such an angle that the gas was most likely cut off completely to the stove.  Maybe from repetitive use of the slide?  Don't know.

There hadn't been any other hose clamps on any of the other lines.  That had me wondering why I only saw it here. And then later that night it hit me.  Someone at the factory had used it to pry open the overly tight (too short) hose to allow propane to flow. Only now it didn't work, and I've got a jimmy rigged solution that I don't deem very safe.  And neither did our dealer when I called to ask if this was a common way to fix such an issue.

So my question is, has anyone seen this done before?  Is it something that is fairly common and a newb like myself is overreacting?  My wife certainly isn't happy.  I don't have time to take it to the dealer so I may just install an elbow connector to take care of it (would it have been that hard to do at manufacture?).  But I wanted it documented before I did anything.

Any help is appreciated.  Sorry for the long post.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:37am
That's not acceptable in any way. Big example of just shoddy workmanship if that came from the factory. Quality Assurance most have been asleep. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:34pm
+1
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod4Two View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:22pm
Found that too just recently on our 2011, I tugged on it a little from where the grommet goes up to the floor and got a little slack enough to relieve the kink . Ran the slide back in and hose stayed in place. 
Probably will haft to put that on my check list for camp setup. 
Ina & Philip Kennedy
2011 -177
2014 GMC Z71 4x4
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:14pm
Happened to me too on our 177 on our second campout. I pushed the hose into the proper position and it hasn't kinked up again.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
 Post Reply Post Reply