R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Bike Rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Bike Rack
    Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:00pm
Any concerns with changing the spare tire with a bike rack? My 179 has the smaller type receiver for the spare tire, so I would need to buy an adapter to (small to large) 1 1/4 inch to 2 inch then mount my bike rack and add 2 bikes. Seems to me that is a lot of weight hanging off the bumper. Anybody know the weight limitations for a 179 rear hitch.Star
R-POD is R-PAD
Black Ford F350
Oregon License "HQRSE"
MeeshyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:17pm
I believe the weight limit of the back hitch is 150 lbs.
Michelle & Curtis Nolting
2015 Rpod 179 (MeeshyPod)
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:18pm
I think forest river sells a dual bike rack that takes the place of the spare tire.  So I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Maybe relocate the spare tire to the hitch. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:11pm
I wouldn't use an adapter, that will increase the leverage the bikes apply to the hitch.  I've seen many hitch extensions/adapters that state the rated hitch weight needs to be cut in half if it is used.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 7:24pm
There are bike racks that attach to the spare tire, I used to have one for my old Toyota Rav4, orginal body style.  That way you'd still have your spare, only concern I can see with that is the spare might be too low, bikes might be too close to the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8002598-Sparetime-Bike-Rack/dp/B0038QAKN0/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1434669887&sr=1-10&keywords=yakima+bike+rack
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 8:56pm
I use a single 1up USA rack (1-1/4") all aluminum, light, in the receiver. I also bolted some D-Rings through the frame of the trailer on each side of the window (below it)  and use bungees and a pull strap to secure the bike from bouncing. Very immobilized so it can't bounce. 

It's been working fine for over a year now. It allows me to take the rack off at my destination, and install it onto my SUV and head to the trails.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:41am
The carrier FR sells is expensive, but it's very light. I used one on my 172 and it worked well. A similar rack is available from Amazon. The spare can be moved to the tongue as I did, along with two batteries and two propane tanks. Search my upgrades for info. The most satisfactory solution I ended up with is a Swagman basket carrier mounted between the TV and TT, with the spare back on the rear of the trailer. Again, search on my upgrades. It required a slightly extended shank to fit my Honda Pilot, but worked well with the E2 WDH.

I do not recommend adding bikes on top of the spare tire. Way to much weight whipping around on the back of the trailer.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:54am
I moved the spare to the tongue and use a Swagman XTC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack on the back. What I like about this style of carrier is the tires sit in a cradle so the bikes don't move around at all. It fits 1-ΒΌ" & 2" receiver and the hitch pin is threaded so you can wrench it down tight to minimize bounce. I gotta believe our 2 bikes plus rack doesn't weigh much more than the spare and mount.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 11:19am
Originally posted by CharlieM

I do not recommend adding bikes on top of the spare tire. Way to much weight whipping around on the back of the trailer.

+1 for the same reason I stated for using an extension.  Instead of the bikes occupying the space where the spare tire is sitting (in mid-air) they will be at least 6 inches farther back.  The pod's rear receiver just isn't designed for much dynamic loading and that will increase the dynamic loading a lot.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm
I've got my eye on getting a bike rack for the back of mine too eventually. Hope to find something that works well.
2014 R-POD 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>