Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCunningham Falls - Gettysburg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cunningham Falls - Gettysburg
    Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:50am
We just returned from a couple of nights at Cunningham Falls State Park in Maryland. The park is about 30 minutes south of Gettysburg, PA where we spent a day at the Gettysburg National Military Park. It's a very moving experience and although somewhat familiar with the three day carnage at Gettysburg, being there and walking about the fields makes one feel the reality of what really happened there. Got a similar sense of reality at Little Big Horn last summer.

The park was great with level crushed gravel sites, well spaced. The bathhouse was very clean and showers were great. We stayed in the Hock Area Addison Run (electric/pet) loop, site 9. We usually don't take an electric site, but the weather forecast (hot, humid, storms) compelled us otherwise. It was worth it. Sunday night and Monday afternoon produced some dramatic weather with torrential rain and dramatic thunder and lightening. Kinda ironic that one storm knocked the electric out for a few hours. Once again, the rDome proved invaluable and drew quite a few enviable comments from fellow campers. I even rigged the Television outside the door Sunday night and we (and a couple of friends) watched RV with Robin Williams under the dome while it rained outside. Fun.

There are a number of hiking trails in and around the park and a swimming lake. We did have time for one short hike to The Falls. We will return to the park sometime and explore a bit more.

On the way back home we stopped in Hannover, PA. York County must be The Factory Tour capital of the world! I'm sure there is more than one podder here who would enjoy the Harley Davidson Factory Tour. We chose to visit the factory of one of my favorite pastimes - Potato Chips! 14,000 lbs. of potato chips an hour! We stopped by the factory outlet store and picked up $19.00 of chips and pretzels including some bags of my favorite - Old Bay Crab Chips.

Here's just a handful of pics we took.

fre
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 10:42am
We'll be at Cunninham Falls in August!  I believe I've been there before but only for the day.  Good to hear a good review on the pet loop.

Our family has done just about every one of those tours.  Ice cream, pretzel, chip, etc.  We are waiting to do Harley when the girls are old enough (I think they need to be 16).  An interesting way to pass a few hours.  Love the UTZ factory store, we used to buy the big boxes of Crab Chips all the time.  I like them better than the chip that has real Old Bay (Lays?).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:13am
You're right Doug! Herr's are the "Old Bay" chips. UTZ seasoning is better, but since we always got about three cans of Old Bay sitting around (ya never know), I associate every crab seasoning with Old Bay. Smile

When we arrived at Cunningham Sunday afternoon, the lake parking lots were packed. Got a feeling it gets real crowded on the weekends. As does Gettysburg, I guess. Sunday night through Wednesday was very uncrowded and peaceful.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply