FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential Podder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential Podder
    Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:00am
Hello,
The wife and i are looking into purchasing a small camper in the near future.  We love tent camping, but we would like to upgrade to a camper.  I've done a good bit of research over the past month or two and I've come to the conclusion that the R-Pod just might be the best bet for us.  We really like the R-Pod for a couple reasons: 
1. It is a good size for our needs (just the two of us and our pup) 
2. It is a good size to be towed by my jeep cherokee 3.2L V6 
3. We like the internal and external aesthetics and features (especially the 178 floor plan)
4. Because we plan to camp both at campground and do some dry camping, we really that it is solar ready and eco friendly.
On the solar topic, I've done a ton of reading on here and just in general and have a good idea of approximately how much I would need to invest on solar equipment, but I'd like to hear what some of you think.  
First off, we will likely only be dry camping for a few days (3-4) at a time.  We will plan to only dry camp when its neither too hot or too cold to avoid using A/C or heat as much as possible.  Our favorite part about camping is getting outside and exploring: hiking, kayaking, sight seeing, etc. so we won't be using a ton of power during the day on most days.  We will also try to minimize the use of power hungry appliances such as microwave and hair dryer.  We will do the majority of our cooking on the range using propane or outside on a grill.  We will be using cell phones, laptops, and TV during the evenings and on days when weather keeps us inside and maybe some small fans or a small space heater when it gets warm or chilly.
Based on what i said above i was thinking about purchasing a 100w-120w solar panel, a 1000w pure sine wave inverter, and a second 12v deep cycle battery.  I know there's additonal solar equipment i would need to purchase, but those wouldbe the most expensive.
Basically I'm just trying to figure out if I'm on track with the equipment based on my needs and approximately how much i would be looking at spending on the solar equipment on top of what i would be investing in the camper itself.

Thanks podders!

Kyle
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:42am
I'm not going to be any help with the solar stuff but I know others who are that will chime in.  The RPOD is a great camper and super lite, might get a bit stuffy inside when dry camping though so I'd recommend a fan to push some air and potentially a generator too.  Good luck with your search.
2014 R-POD 177
Pooterpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:55am
Just a note; You will need a 120 AC plug in or a generator to run the Air , microwave,  and most likely the  hair dryer and  small electric heater. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:37am
Welcome.  If you will camp where you will be in shade, solar won't do much for you.  Even just a corner of a panel shaded will drop the output dramatically.  For your time frame you may want to just add a 2nd battery.  With conservation you won't need solar or a generator.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:06am
Welcome
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
klaster23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the welcome, tips, and ideas.

I do think I will probably just go with the simple two battery setup to start off with and see how that goes just doing a few days of dry camping at a time.
For techntrek or anyone else, what size inverter and other mods or equipment would you suggest to go with that two battery setup?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:53pm

Current discussion with my recommendations for small inverters here:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6427&title=upgrade-batteries-and-propane

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
klaster23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 7:41pm
Thank you sir!
 Post Reply Post Reply