R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUpgrade batteries and propane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade batteries and propane
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 4:40pm
I recently purchased a 179 and have had it out a few times. Now i want to be able to take advantage of more campgrounds that do not have electric sites.
I am looking at changing the battery out with two six volt ones for longer duration of power and adding another propane tank as well.
Is there any issue with the tongue weight with these additions? TV rated for 600 pounds.
I also am looking at pure sine converters. Any hint on which is better?
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:23pm
With the addition of another propane tank and battery, you should still be well under the 600 pound limit of your hitch. Hte two 6 volt golf cart batteries will indeed be heavier. A simple test would be to weight a full propane tank, weigh your own battery and compare that to a golf cart battery PLUS the second one. You can then see how much more it will add.  If you don't currently know your tongue weight, there are ways of using a 200-300 pound bathroom scale to measure it on a flat driveway.

If you need an Inverter (convert 12VDC to 120VAC),  first determine the watts you'll need, add 10-20% to that total, then read a lot of reviews on Amazon.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Pooterpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:32pm
I like the extra tongue weight, you will get less sway with a little more weight up front. Mine went from 280 to 340 pounds by adding a second group 24 battery ,sticking my two Yamaha generators and around 65 lbs of toolbox up front inside. This is with a full fresh water tank. It definitely towed better. YRMV.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 6:40am
I added battery and 2nd propane (as well as spare tire & power jack) with no problems at all.
Initially I was looking at 6v batteries but decided they were WAY too heavy. I believe the 12v will work fine for my needs since I have a solar panel also. Below is link to upgrade specifics:

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:36am
This is the best "small" inverter on the market.  A bit pricey, but it is completely sealed with no fan to replace.  http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/moin/mosu300wasiw.html
Same wattage, but old-style with a fan, and cheaper:  http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/sasiwain1/samlex-pst-series-pure-sine-wave-inverters.html
300 watts is the most you'll need if you are charging a laptop or two and phone or two and watching a little television.  Do NOT buy into the hype of a 2000 watt inverter to run your microwave.  2000 watts is too much for a 12 volt system, you need 24 or 48 volts for that - and a much larger battery bank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WIRpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:30pm
I went with two Trojan 6V golf cart batteries and with the dual propane tank setup. I don't notice any weight issues, but I do have a WDH. 
2011 Nissan Titan
2015 Rpod 171
Sms9758 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 4:21pm
Which Trojans did you buy. We have the t-125 and there doesn't seem to be enough room for both cases
Sms9758 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 4:22pm
Thanks. Will be picking one of these this week!
 Post Reply Post Reply