Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRdome 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rdome 179
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:39pm
If you got the bogus Rdome with your new 179 do not waste your time with Forest River. They Will Not help you. I finally got my new dome with the help of my dealer. FR could have cared less and basically told me so many times. The dealer is your only hope. I wS wondering if anyone else had been helped by their dealer and how the dome fit the 179???
Mikebike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:17pm
We have a 178 the r-dome came with it. I put it up once ~~~we did not like the looks at all. I will be selling it πŸ˜„πŸ‘
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:44pm
To each his own I guess, but our dome is receives as many, if not more, compliments than the pod itself. Especially when it's raining.

What do you not like about it?

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Mikebike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 3:54pm
Absolutely ~~ did not mean to cast dispersion on it in general. We are more minimalist (like it simple) still sorting out what to do- we are on a maiden 7 week trip (day 20 today). I may use a plain tarp / the sticky suction things to hold to trailer and the poles for the front at places we will stay at for 3 or more days- still sorting it outπŸ˜„πŸ‘

I love the R-Pod over allπŸ‘πŸ‘
jeffreypenhall View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:56pm
I agree with all these posts. Number one it's UGLY, tilts forward, looks weird especially at the bottom. On the other hand it's great for when it rains, you can store items outside but somewhat concealed aka ice chest. we set up a table under the dome, just as a useable work surface. setting up is less difficult than a full size tent but more difficult than a 10X10 pop up. I have taken it home wet and let it dry in the barn, but we do that all the time in Oregon, so no big deal. I bought bigger suction cups to hold down the sides. For the bottom flaps I haul 10 bricks. Like IStar said there is pluses and negatives.
R-POD is R-PAD
Black Ford F350
Oregon License "HQRSE"
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:03pm
The dome takes practice. At least for me it did. Now it takes me about ten minutes to setup or dismantle. If it's wet, I either just roll it up wet or stuff it in a big plastic garbage bag if wind is an issue. When I get home or to the next site I set it up and dry it out. Just today, I set it up in my driveway just to clean some of the dirt from the lower flaps that collected from torrential rains Sunday and Monday. I guess I've done it so many times, it just doesn't seem like a big deal.

The design could be refined a bit more specific to a particular pod shape, but I think a custom enclosure built as well as the Dometic Cabana would cost a whole lot more. As it is, I just don't think it looks all that bad, but it could be I'm just looking at function over form.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:16pm
Looking good!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 9:01pm
Different angle, same site. I do usually find a few rocks to put on the flaps (don't want to carry bricks ;)). I have also used a log or two, rather than staking everything down.

Took me a while to figure out that it is best to zip all the panels closed and make fine adjustments to the frame (arched rod) before staking or attaching suction cups. When setup right my dome "door" just swings up and attaches to the center suction cup thingy.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 11:15am
Mikebike - generally my wife and I agree with you.  We weren't big fans of the Dome - but we did put it up for week-long trips and a few times when we knew an entire weekend would be rainy.  But we always put up our EZ-ups (2) and usually I would just wrap a tarp around them for the rainy weekends.

I wouldn't throw away the material of your Dome.  They are expensive and many people post want ads for them here.  I'd sell your Dome and check out alternatives like EZ-ups, or the other custom options for pods that some here have tried.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Mikebike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 5:41pm
Good idea Doug I will carry it for the next 28 days of this adventure -- then decide when I get home
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>