R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExtended Warranty - Event Date: 03 Jun 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Extended Warranty
    Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 6:38pm
What's the consensus regarding "extended service agreements" upon purchase of a new RPOD?  Dealer introduced subject only at time of delivery; said manufacturer's warranty is only 1 year and stressed high price of specific applicances and repairs if we had to pay out of pocket.  We relented with considerable hesitation and bought the agreement.  We are not normally "extended warranty" buyers.  How many owners have done this and had experiences that seemed to justify the cost of the extended warranty?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm
Depends on the extended warranty they were pushing.  Forest River offers an additional year on the factory warranty for $150 if you purchase within 10 days (if I remember right).  I never buy extended warranties, but I did buy that one.

If they are pushing one of the many private company extended warranties, the answer is "depends".  I don't trust most of them and think many of them - often offered for thousands of dollars - are ripoffs.  Then there is this post from a member (link below) on a 6 year warranty for $657. I inherited the last 1 1/2 years of this same policy on my current camper and when I read over the documentation it seemed to be a very comprehensive policy.  Probably the only one I would consider in the future. http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5623&KW=warranty&PID=54949&title=3000-for-extended-warranty-in-canada#54949
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 4:56pm
49er,

Doug is spot on. I did buy the 6 year for $657.00 warranty from Protective

Search the plan and you will find overwhelming positive experiences. You may never use it. Then again...

Also, I consider it a selling feature when we do decide to sell the Pod and upgrade to our Airstream Land Yacht. I'm leaning towards the Mocha interior. A bit brighter than the Polar.

Insurance is all about risk tolerance. Like Doug, I usually never buy extended warranties, but this plan just seemed like a reasonable purchase and I had the extra cash.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 7:00pm
Forest River offers a second full year of warranty on R-pods for what I consider a very reasonable $150.  You have to enroll within 10 days of purchase, but they apparently are pretty flexible on that number.  I rarely, if ever, do the extended warranty thing, but we got this one.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 7:58pm
I normally don't buy any extended warranties on anything, but I did buy an extended 3 year warranty on the fridge only due to its high cost to replace, so far I have wasted my money as it has worked flawlessly.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
49er View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:55pm
Thanks to all for the feedback.  We will explore the possibilities with Protective.  Meanwhile we're notifying dealer we want to cancel the agreement we started with -  too many adverse conditions and too expensive.  May opt for a rainy day account at the bank instead of an extended warranty.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 10:06pm
At the very least get the $150 option direct from FR if you don't want to ask your dealer for it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply