R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfeeling stupid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: feeling stupid
    Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 12:55pm
Cry  Ok, we now have our 2015 179, but I have never camped with electricity before (tent).  Which is better to go solar or generator or both and why.  What exactly will each power and do campgrounds frown on generators?  We are looking at the Zamp solar panels and the Honda 2000i generator paired.  Any help would be appreciative.
Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:05pm
I have a generator a Champion 2000, it's a quiet one, similar to the honda 2000. I only use it to charge the batteries when I'm camping in a location without plug-in (which is most of the time). So I use it about once every 4-5 days. If i need to charge my laptop of camera batteries within that time I'll use a small inverter I bought which will convert DC to AC.
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm
We have a 179 and I use a honda 2000i when are batteries need charging. I also have a inverter for the tv and for charging phones and comp.  In most campgrounds its not a problem if you follow the rules on quite time. 
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:55pm
We boondock most of the time and purchased a Ryobi 2000i generator at HomeDepot several years ago. We have never used it and it sits in the new in the box in my basement. We have no need for AC, Microwave, etc.
We use a 100w solar panel to keep the battery topped off and has worked wonderfully. No messy/smelly gas, fumes, or noise.
We charge our phones, run the laptop, and other low draw components from the battery.
Sms9758 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 2:04pm
Do the 179's stay cool enough not to need air conditioning.  I think this would be our main draw on electricity but we are use to the cool breezes of a tent.  I am noticing that most of the sites that have electricity are not to our liking so maybe I do need something to keep the battery charged

Sms9758 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 2:08pm
what brand and type of inverter do you use?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 3:49pm
We have a Honda i2000 generator and a 80w solar panel with 2 - 12v deep cycle batteries. We stay at sites with and without electric. If we don't have electric we pretty much use the generator only for our coffee maker - we love our coffee. I can also use it to charge batteries and run power tools if needed. I haven't used the solar panel yet (it came with our used 2015 178). I'm sure it will get used during a 3 week Outer Banks trip this fall. Honda will make our coffee and solar can charge the batteries. 
As far as air conditioning- we ONLY stay at parks with electric if we think we will need the AC. We will go to the mountains in the summer without electric but never the beach - or south - without electric in the summer. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 7:30pm
Something to consider with solar is if just a corner of a solar panel is in the shade, the output drops off a cliff.  So they won't do much if you are under tree cover.  You can use large wires to extend them out 20-30 feet from the pod but then you need to babysit them so they don't walk away.

Most campgrounds have rules about when you can run a generator, except for dispersed camping areas in the west.  Don't plan on sleeping with A/C overnight, or letting Grandma sit inside in A/C all day.  When we were at Yellowstone last summer I think they allowed generators for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening.  

If you will run one to charge a battery, do it for 30-60 minutes every other day - not every day!  Due to how lead acid batteries charge you'll get more charge for your buck (and more silence) that way.  If you will only be charging the battery and maybe your laptop and cell phones, you can get by with a 1000 watt genset but I recommend 2000 watts.  One reason is heat and altitude.  You lose 3.5% of your power for every 1000 feet above sea level, and 1% for every 10 F above 60 F.  So if you are in Yellowstone over 8000 feet and it is 80 degrees outside, you've already lost 30% of your engine power and therefore your electrical output.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 7:52am
I forgot to add if you will be running the big stuff like the A/C or microwave, you need something with more than 2000 watts.  Many here, including myself, have successfully used a genset rated at 2400 watts (surge) like the Yamaha EF2400is, but when altitude is a factor going with a 3000 watt genset is safer.

You also need to consider which type of generator you'll want - old-school contractor screamer that sucks down gas (but is cheap) or newer inverter-generator which is quiet and sips fuel (but isn't cheap).  If you plan on spending nights at truck stops or Wal-Marts, or using it at home during a power outage, you will want the quiet option.

Home backup is another topic, where I recommend a large contractor screamer and a smaller inverter-genset, based on my experience.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sms9758 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:31am
So if I get a honda 2000i and a 100 watt solar panel will that be enough. And then pair two Hondas if I want ac.  Does the honda having an inverter mean I don't have to have a separate one of those or do I need a separate inverter to say watch tv at night without the generator. I am starting to get the hang of this I think.  Big change from tent camping without ever having any electricity to rv
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>