R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedService tanks plastic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service tanks plastic?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I know almost nothing about the different types of plastic and which ones, if any are toxic.  I know billions of gallons of bottled water and soft drinks that are packaged and stored for months in plastic bottles kill very few people and the ones they do kill rarely die from plastic related issues.  Plastic is the container of choice even for Perrier Water.  I'm not too worried about the toxicity of the pod potable water tank.

Sagging might be another question.  Again, I haven't studied the issue, but I have seen pics that make it look like at least some tanks could be better supported.  That's a simple issue to address with some self-tapping screws and some strapping.

TT
We drink bottle water at home and when camping in plastic bottles and yes there are many different plastics and most likely the plastic used for the fresh water tanks is safe. But working in retail and knowing how many items that are recalled and pulled off the floor from being sold because of safety issues. Sometimes it has been items because of food and beverage packaging that is not safe. Sometimes I kind of wander if the plastic used for the fresh water tank is it safe when the plastic is exposed to a lot of heat. They say that water bottles should not be left in a hot car because the heat reacts with the plastic and becomes toxic. If I felt the water tank was that unsafe I would of replaced it so I am not that concerned just a thought and wanting to know why they have stainless steel tanks.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by johnmaci

That Nissan puts my Pathfinder to shame Shocked

Still makes me want to cry Unhappy
So many awesome vehicles that never make it to our shores. Same went for the differences with the Mitsubishi Montero vs the Mitsubishi Pajero.

We are happily living with our wanna be SUV and TT for now, but planning on selling everything within the next 5 yrs (when I finally retire) and getting some real off road adventures.
This year we're attending the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival in PA, and starting to plan our next purchase Big smile
http://www.overlandfestival.com/event-info/

Cheers!

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:43am
I know almost nothing about the different types of plastic and which ones, if any are toxic.  I know billions of gallons of bottled water and soft drinks that are packaged and stored for months in plastic bottles kill very few people and the ones they do kill rarely die from plastic related issues.  Plastic is the container of choice even for Perrier Water.  I'm not too worried about the toxicity of the pod potable water tank.

Sagging might be another question.  Again, I haven't studied the issue, but I have seen pics that make it look like at least some tanks could be better supported.  That's a simple issue to address with some self-tapping screws and some strapping.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 6:53am
    There is a European camper that has a stainless steel fresh water tank and I think there may be others. I think that makes sense for health reasons, I am not sure about the current plastic used for the fresh water tanks if it is toxic or not over time. Stainless is known to be safe and plastics have a history of not being safe. Perhaps the plastic being used has been tested and considered safe but I still have concern of the possibility of it being toxic. I know stainless would add to the cost and weight of a camper but that would be my preference if I had the choice.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Yup, normal on all campers - the plastic and the slight bowing of the water tank.  

bringing up this thread again but what is slight bowing to everyone else. I will try and get a pic later if someone else can elaborate or show some pics as well.

Ill show you mine if you show me yours Clap

but no really bc this thing looks like a saggy beer gutt and dont want to come on day and have it bust open. thanks again.

Alex-
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:53pm
Also its not so much that i want to take this thing on some crazy trials, but it would give me a piece of mind when taking it through some rougher terain, keeping in mind to respect the limits of the trailer and truck.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:50pm
adding skid plates and bigger axle, and possibly moving some pipes around is all good fun, so in time im sure things will start to get done with the pod but we will see. Hopefully i dont take out any scissor jacks anytime soon. But i wil be replacing them with different stabilizers regardles, prolly the Atwood stablizer jacks.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:32pm
That Nissan puts my Pathfinder to shame Shocked
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:30pm
I bet that Conqueror has Outbound's poop cannon mounted in a turret! Star
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:54pm
I like the stabilizer jacks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>