R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich r pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which r pod
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:00pm
Have you gone inside a 171 and compared it to the 177/178?  We were set on getting a 171 last year until we toured a 177 and a 178 in the campground were were staying at in Banff.  The slide-out may not add a lot of usable space, but to us, it made a tremendous difference in how the whole camper feels.  The 171 felt claustrophobic, with a rather small passage leading to the bed, and little room to walk or access the bathroom around if someone is using the kitchen.  The 177 and 178 open up that area quite a bit. 

We ended up purchasing a 177.  Probably would have gotten a 178, but found a great deal on a 177.  If the extra money and (little) extra weight is a major consideration, the 171 would be fine, I'm sure.  But do spend some time in each model before deciding.

As far as pricing, the internet is your friend.  I scoured the web for the best deal.  Used that number when going to two in-state R-pod dealers (no local dealers--both were about 2 hours away).  Neither could come anywhere close to that deal, so I drove 600 miles to a different state to purchase.  Many people have used Couch's RV as a starting point for price, since they tend to be as cheap or cheaper than most other dealers.  There's definitely an advantage to buying locally, especially if you end up having any warranty work done (any authorized Forest River dealer can do the work, but often, they will prioritize customers who purchased from them--and understandably so--so that you may end up having to wait a long time to get the work done).  So figure that into the equation.

Where are you located?  Are there any local R-pod dealers, or at least, within an hour of you?  Also, we purchased a 2014 at the very end of the year.  It happened to be an early 2014 model, so the dealer had it on his lot for a while (don't know why), so he was definitely more motivated than if it had been one that just arrived.  We paid $12,500 for a fairly loaded 177 last September (no R-dome, but pretty much everything else, incl. axle risers and the Crown Package).  Don't know if you could get that kind of price on a 2015, but if you can find a 2014 (which has a different paint/logo scheme), you might get it for quite a bit less than a 2015.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:35am
We bought a 171.  They didn't announce the slide out models until the week we picked ours up, otherwise I would have considered the 177 (basically the same layout as the 171).  That said, for camping the 171 was just fine for us - even with 4 of us in there.  We only went inside to go to sleep or use the bathroom.  Even on rainy days I set up EZ-ups with some tarps and we stayed outside.  In more recent years we started doing long trips around the US and for traveling it became too small for the long stops at truck stops and Wal-Marts overnight.  You don't hang out outside at a truck stop.  I'm fairly certain though that if we had the 177 or 178 it would have been just enough room, if a bit small still for a 12 hour stop.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:29am
We used to have a 171, it was great!! We always wanted just a little bit more room. We got the 179 with the slide out and really love it. The slide and rear kitchen make a huge difference in room and storage.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
802 JJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:21am
Hello podders
I hope to be one of you soon... I'm having trouble picking which pod I want.
I have it narrowed down to 3 - 171, 177, or a 178. I guess what I am asking is this :
Do those little slide outs make that much of a difference ? It does in the price factor, but what about function ?
Question #2 is : I know dealers are trying to make as much money as they can well we are trying to save as much money as we can, what can someone expect to pay for a loaded2015.5 r pod 171, 177, or 178 Forest River edition without a bike rack or screen room ?
Thanks again r podders
 Post Reply Post Reply