R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReconsidering purchase - shoddy workmanship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jay in Maryland View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reconsidering purchase - shoddy workmanship
    Posted: 17 May 2015 at 4:25pm
I also recently bought a 179. This is my fist camper trailer. There is no excuse for the low initial quality I have observed, -but then again they sold it to me... So why should the manufacturer bother doing their job any better? 

I'll say it, -if I knew then what I know now, I would not have purchased a camper trailer. It is a sad situation, for what I paid the camper could and ought to be put together much better. 
Jay
r-pod179
05 Tacoma PreRunner
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:30pm
When you unhooked the pod, did you also unhook the battery from the pod?  I would expect more than barely a day of little use out of that battery, and from your description it sounds like the battery has been damaged.  It sounds like you kept it plugged in more than long enough over the last few months to keep it properly charged - if the battery was immediately disconnected from the pod.  That leaves the possibility it was discharged too deeply.  Maybe you unplugged it for 2 weeks while the battery was still attached to the pod?  The fridge brains and LPG detector would deeply discharge the battery in that amount of time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:22pm
I would note that the battery and propane tank are dealer installed items as I understand it. Problems with them are on the manufacturer and the dealer. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Leighbeelu

Wow, lots of great info. I really do love this forum and you very knowledgable folks are wonderful.

I am starting from scratch right now and will experiment, at home, using your advice. The battery is back in, confirmed secure and the pod is plugged in. I don't as yet have anything to monitor the battery but will purchase. Had no idea the pod monitor wasn't accurate. I did unplug the TV but did not know about the booster, it is now off.

Should it be completely charged within 24 hours? I have it plugged into a normal home outlet with an 30 amp adapter.

Yes, the battery will completely recharge overnight with the onboard converter. I don't know if the 179 has a 12V socket inside, but if it does there are a number of good plug-in battery monitors available. Check Amazon. One additional point on your household outlet: It will run everything in your pod with the possible exception of the AC. Depending on what else is on your house circuit and the outside temperature, your AC may trip the house circuit breaker. No danger, just inconvenience. However, if your "30 amp adapter" is the little molded plastic hockey puck it can be a fire hazard. If you intend to run the AC or microwave you should purchase a good quality dog bone type adapter and make sure any extension cords are rated for at least 15 amps. The 30 amp cord supplied with the Pod is completely adequate.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Leighbeelu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:57am
Wow, lots of great info. I really do love this forum and you very knowledgable folks are wonderful.

I am starting from scratch right now and will experiment, at home, using your advice. The battery is back in, confirmed secure and the pod is plugged in. I don't as yet have anything to monitor the battery but will purchase. Had no idea the pod monitor wasn't accurate. I did unplug the TV but did not know about the booster, it is now off.

Should it be completely charged within 24 hours? I have it plugged into a normal home outlet with an 30 amp adapter.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:45am
Two problems. First is running the fridge on DC while driving. Depending on you TV and how well it's wired it's possible that you're battery is not only not charging, but actually discharging. The fridge draws 11 Amps on 12V. With the small wire used in most TVs the auto will supply around 10 Amps. At best you will maintain the charge, but more likely you will be in a net discharge condition. The solution is run the fridge on propane while traveling. There is no danger.

Second problem is trying to recharge from the same 7 pin TV connector. With the limited charge capability (see above) it can take 10 hours to recharge the battery. Then add the fact that the factory supplied four light battery indicator is totally inaccurate and useless and you begin to see the problem. The most accurate way to check battery condition is with a hydrometer, but a digital voltmeter is a useful substitute. If you are off-grid the battery can be recharged from the TV with a good set of heavy gauge copper jumper cables, but even that will take an hour or so.

Edit: Furpod you beat me too it. I type slower than you.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:30am
"2/3rds charge" doesn't really mean anything. Monitor panels are hokum. If using the tv to charge the battery, at camp, use jumper cables, it literally will move 10x the amps. ie: charge 10x faster, for the same amount of idling.

Next to where your tv plugs into the cable outlet inside, there is a small button, a LED comes on when it's on, that's the antenna booster, uses more amps then it should in my opinion, but they get left on all the time.. and eat up batteries.

You say a battery shop told you your battery is fine.. I am wondering if your tow vehicle was/is charging while you are towing. If you were on 12v, and the tow vehicle wasn't charging, or charging well, a single group 24 battery will be dead in 3 hours or so..

Leighbeelu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:02am
Regarding maintaining the battery, I had the pod plugged in for most of the last 4 months. I would take it off for a little while then plug back in. I charged it completely before I left. Fridge was on battery while driving then switched to gas upon arrival. Nothing left on that I know of, only propane detector. Not even sure what the antenna booster is. When I charged the battery with the car, I plugged in the round plug that runs from the car to the trailer. It would show 2/3 full then run out very quickly. Only used 1 light at a time and turned on the water pump only when ran water for a minute. That was really it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Leighbeelu

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess my answer is that this is typical in this industry.

To techntrek, regarding the battery, I took it on a trip and with the fridge on gas, it lasted one day and we hardly used it. I was at a music festival and was gone during the days. Once it stopped working, I would run the car and charge it to at least 2/3 and by the evening it was all but gone. AND we weren't even at the campsite. Is the battery in the photo correct? Is there something draining it that I am unaware of? My invoice says "Deep Cycle" battery.

Thank you, Leigh

What are you doing to maintain the battery between trips? what was the state of charge upon arrival? Upon departure from home? What is on in the pod? The propane detector draws 12v continuously, some entertainment systems do, (some are 12v, some 120v), is the antenna booster turned on? Lights? Fantastic fan?

If you are going to be using the pod off grid at festivals and such, it might be a good idea to look into a dual battery system so you have plenty of reserve.. You say you charged with "the car", did you use the bargman connector, or a set of jumper cables?
pepmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:03am
I agree that the quality has declined as the years have gone on.. Our 2010 was much better quality than the 2014 we upgraded to.. People say it is dealer prep that should take care of this but I think it is Forest River quality control . They build they inspect and all the dealer really cares about is selling them.. it is disappointing and does take some of the joy out of the purchase.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>