R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhub temps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: hub temps
    Posted: 05 May 2015 at 6:32am
10-4     hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:33am
I check mine every time I stop, and I hit the hub, about half way between the wheel and the end of the hub.  I agree with Podster that it probably doesn't matter exactly where you take the measurement as long as you are in the right area and are consistent.  I haven't done this yet, but the thing to do is probably measure all over and find the hot spot and measure there from now on.  I'm talking about checking wheel bearings, not brakes.

My temps are generally around 105 to 115, but I have seen them as low as 80-something.  A lot depends on ambient and road temperatures.  Anyway, having established a norm, I'm going to pay attention to anything much higher than 125, or if one side is out of line the other side.  I think that's really the key.

I don't know that I see a lot of point in checking brake temps.  They are going to be so dependent on recent usage.  Maybe if I thought they were dragging.... Again, compare one side to the other though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

.. Snipped to here:
I don't know that I see a lot of point in checking brake temps.  They are going to be so dependent on recent usage.  Maybe if I thought they were dragging.... Again, compare one side to the other though.

TT
Hmm, would also be a good way to check to see if your brakes are even engaging, would it not?  I'm still inexperienced enough that I'm not satisfied completely that I have the P3 controller set right.  Couch's preset it at '3' .. Said that was right for the P3 & 171.  Can't detect it holding the TV back when I manually engage it at 20 mph.  Bumped it up to 6 or 7.  Still no braking feel or skidding tire.  Haven't progressed further from this point.  Winter got in the way & haven't used the trailer yet this Spring.

Thoughts on this appreciated (& haven't meant to hijack the thread).
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Luv2Q

Hmm, would also be a good way to check to see if your brakes are even engaging, would it not?  I'm still inexperienced enough that I'm not satisfied completely that I have the P3 controller set right.  Couch's preset it at '3' .. Said that was right for the P3 & 171.  Can't detect it holding the TV back when I manually engage it at 20 mph.  Bumped it up to 6 or 7.  Still no braking feel or skidding tire.  Haven't progressed further from this point.  Winter got in the way & haven't used the trailer yet this Spring.

Thoughts on this appreciated (& haven't meant to hijack the thread).

I don't claim to know a lot about brake controllers, but I think the idea of someone telling you what number to set your controller to is probably bogus.  At best it might be a starting point.  I crank mine up until I can feel the trailer pulling back when I hit the brakes and dial it back if I ever notice the trailer brakes locking up. I don't look at the numbers when I'm doing this.  Maybe when I'm done, I'll try to make a note of the number, but I don't know that I'd rely on it for future adjustments.

In my experience, once you get the controller set, it's good to go for a long time.  When it's right, you ought to be able to make a quick stop just about exactly as easily with the trailer as without it, maybe a little better.

For what it's worth, I have some kind of Tekonsha, I forget which, and I have no idea what number it's on, but 3 sounds very low.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 8:53am
I don't believe there is any one "right" power getting for the Prodigy P3.

I just finished putting my wheels back together on my 178 after inspecting and repacking bearings. While up on jack stands, I adjusted the "self adjusting" adjustment to just a little drag on both wheels. I figure the self adjusters will do their job, but I do have my doubts. I also did a P3 lever test while in the air just to make sure the brakes were engaging.

Time for a test drive. My previous power setting was 9.6. Previously, I never did adjust it to lockup, but the car and trailer felt as though they braked as one unit so I was fine with that for 10K+ miles.

Quick suggestion: If you are going on a test drive to check brakes, make sure everything in trailer is well secured! Wink

I started with the P3 at the recommended power level of 6. As before, not enough braking for me. I made quite a few aggressive braking tests to see if the self adjusters might tighten up the brakes. No difference. I slowly worked the power up with more aggressive braking on a long flat roadway @ 25 mph. At a power level of 10.3, I felt comfortable. Braking felt no different than without trailer - the way I like it. I didn't increase power to the point of lockup. I did make a lot of braking tests, forward and reverse.

Upon returning home I used an infrared thermometer on both drums. Remember, I was doing a lot of hard braking. They both read between 145-150.

This was a good exercise. Sooner than later I will replace the Dexter Electric Brake Assembly on both wheels. Due to uneven magnet wear on the drums, the drums should be turned or replaced with new assemblies. I believe my initial setup was not well done (with Prodigy Voyager, Fall 2013) and I didn't know what I know now which led to premature and uneven wear. I'm not convinced the self adjusting mechanism works all that great either, but I'm willing to give another set a chance - properly adjusted from the start.

More info than was asked for, but that's my recent experience. I'd be interested in any others' experience with the Dexter brake assembly.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:34am
Tars & Fred, thank you both.  Definitely *not* too much info.  I learned more from your two posts than in all the reading & "learning" I've tried to do up to this point.  I'm pretty sure I've never gotten the controller set high enough up to this point, so I'll be a lot more comfortable selecting higher settings - high enough to actually get the dang brakes to engage!  

Thanks again.  Big smile
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:35am
I have a Lippert axle with self-adjusting brakes on my 177 with a Prodigy P3 brake controller. On a trip coming downhill I measured my hub temp after I got home, (the air temp was 80F) the passenger’s side drum was 112F and the driver’s side drum was 103F. I quite carrying my temp meter and I just check the drums by touch. I have a Honda Ridgeline and when heading down hill I push the P3 button for the transmission control. If there is less than 6% grade I don’t have to use the brakes very often.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12