R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 15A or 20A Electrical Service Safe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is 15A or 20A Electrical Service Safe?
    Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:48am
Is plugging the RPod in to a 15A or 20a household outlet safe with an adapter on the 30A cord?  If so, what systems can one expect to run on this amperage? My main desire would be to have lights and battery charging available. I could swear I've found a post to this effect before but can't find it to save my life. Sorry if it's been asked and answered already. 
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:39am
Plugging in and running the Rpod on a 15 or 20 amp circuit using the OEM 30 amp cable is perfectly safe. Everything in the Pod will work properly, with the possible exception of the air conditioner. The AC may be marginal depending on whether the house circuit is 15 or 20 amps, how much else in the house is also on that same circuit, and the outside temperature. A 15 amp circuit may be marginal; a 20 amp circuit should be fine. In any case there is no danger. The worst thing will be the house circuit breaker will trip. With one exception: The 30 to 15 amp adapter is a weak point. Avoid the cheap molded plastic "hockey puck" adapters. They can be fire hazards. The preferred adapter is the dog bone style molded rubber device with two connectors separated by a foot of wire. These have good quality plugs and sockets rated for the job. Similar units are available from Amazon, etc.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/power-grip-adapter-15a-male-to-30a-female/27986

You will able to run all 12 and 120 volt devices including the battery converter and microwave, and probably the AC. Of cousre you cannot run the AC and the microwave at the same time. Also the electric side of the water heater may limit you options.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 8:25pm
And see the link in my signature, after clicking on it see the first topic on that page.  Spend the $30 for the 2 testers mentioned there, and use them every time you connect.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TR_Alaska View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:17pm
I just followed the advice of CharlieM (above) and replaced my "hockey puck" adapter for the dog-bone style he mentions, and the problem of my GFCI continuously tripping is apparently solved. Many thanks. I at first thought it was either my outdoor GFCI receptacle or something in my R-pod.
2015 RP178 - 2000 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply