R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTips/ advise for buying used R pod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips/ advise for buying used R pod
    Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 1:50pm
I have been researching R pods for almost a year and am ready to move from tenting to Podding.  I am looking at buying a 2013 177 from a private seller and was hoping to get some tips on what to look for before buying.  Here is what I know from the phone conversations:  There are no maintenance records as they have not taken it to an RV dealer, it has only about 1200 miles, it does not have axial risers, they indicated has no leaks and all electrical is working.  The back flush valve does not work. 
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 3:58pm
I'll just respond to the axle risers.

You'll want them. The ground clearance on the rpod is low.
Without them you run the danger of dragging your waste pipes, stabilizing jacks, and more. Most of the owners on the forum have them either by getting a pod with them or adding them on later. If the price is right and you really want this one, get a price on adding them on.

BTW - the 177 is the best model.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:14pm
Go to Couch's RV Nation and get an online quote for a new 171 and 177, that will give you an idea of the lowest prices, new.  Then take a look at the prices of recently offered 171s and 177s in the Flea Market section of this website, to get a feel of offering prices for used pods.  Why the 171, too?  The 171 is the older brother of the 177, with the only real difference being the slide-out on the 177 (and the kitchenette is a mirror image).  By getting new and used prices for both you'll get a fuller picture.  When you negotiate you should get a few hundred dollar rebate since you'll have to get that waste valve repaired.

Try out every appliance, including the water pump.  Ask them to plug it in and turn on the fridge several hours before you arrive so you can be sure it cools.

Your vehicle will need a hitch (usually just a receiver), and a brake controller.  Many here like the Tekonsha Prodigy line.  What TV (tow vehicle) will you be using?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jstoy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:23am
Thanks for the advise. Did not think about the frig. 

How would I go about checking the water pump? I keep reading on the importance of proper winterizing, If they did not winterize it should I walk away and drive to Ohio?

We have a 2012 toyota 4Runner SR5. I already bought the prodigy 2 brake controller, just have to plug in and mount.  I am guessing I would need some type of Mirror extension. 

I already checked on what a new 177 would cost and have a call into stoltfus RV on pricing axial risers and to get it inspected and the back flush valve fix.  I thought about the 171 but with 2 golden retrievers and 2 adults, just figured the 177 slide might keep the peace better on those rainy fall evenings.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:44am
  Agree with all the above, would like to add check under camper that floor is properly sealed to prevent water damage and not a lot of rust on frame. Only being about 2 years old shouldn't be a problem. You may not need extensions for your mirrors your factory mirrors may work. The body of the r-pods are not that wide.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Fly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:46am
The nice thing about the R-Pod is that most can see around the trailer without the use of mirror extensions. It's more of a personal choice then a real need.
2015 R178 R-Pod
1998 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Ford Escape
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 8:47pm
I agree about the mirrors.  For the water pump, if they are ok with un-winterizing it (and they should be by this time of year if they are serious about selling it), putting several gallons of water in the fresh water tank will confirm it is running ok.  If you get nothing at first, have them make sure the winterization valve next to the water pump is in the correct position.

A warning about using Stoltzfus for service.  Their sales department may still be ok but I wouldn't trust their service department after the massive stupidity I experienced there.  See this:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=979&PN=1&title=stoltzfus-rv-in-adamstown-pa
jstoy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:52pm
Thanks for all the tips, So is there a place that would be recommended for service? I live outside of philly
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:17pm
Sorry, I can only make some suggestions around the Baltimore area.
 Post Reply Post Reply