R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplace 120v Television with 12v Television

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MeeshyPod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace 120v Television with 12v Television
    Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:13pm
Alright, so we finally decided (since my husband has electrical experience from his Navy days) that we would just get a small 120w pure sine wave inverter, mount it on the television, install a 12v outlet, and plug the inverter into that outlet to watch TV when we're boondocking. 

We got the inverter from Amazon for about $105 (since we were going for a pure sine wave inverter, we only got one that would be just big enough to run the television, and maybe charge a phone or something). I also like the inverter we bought because it is small enough to be mounted to the TV itself, which is one less eyesore on the wall Wink

Here's a picture of the inverter we bought:

Here's a picture of the 12v outlet my husband installed:

And here's a picture of the inverter mounted to the back of our TV:
Michelle & Curtis Nolting
2015 Rpod 179 (MeeshyPod)
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 1:21am
In the 179 you can pick up a 12v source near the TV fairly easily by pulling out the entertainment unit over the closet. If I remember correctly it only involves four phillips screws and the pin connectors on the back of the entertainment unit can be unplugged to get it out of the way. This allows access to the space over the closet. There are 12v sources in there for the entertainment unit and for the antenna amplifier. I had used this to install a 12v receptacle in the closet wall. Check wire sizes for your load and an in line fuse is a good idea.
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:07am
Originally posted by scentralmt

I also had the Jensen 120V TV.  I don't understand why they didn't supply a 12V model, I camp mainly in National Forest so no electricity.  I went to Best Buy and found TV's that have a converter to go from 120v
to 12v.  The Insignia models are that way.  The 19" model is $99.99 and the one I got was a 20" with DVD player on sale for $129.99.  I just cut the line and used the wire for the outside light for power, there should also be 12v for the antenna booster.

My trailer is a 177 and the Jensen DVD player is at the other end of the trailer so when using the replacement TV I use it's own remote.  The camper speakers have one back by the bed and the other in the front which I guess is the only way they can do it, so I just listen off the tv speakers.

I would guess there would be other brands out there too.

Curtis

Because most people who buy an RV regardless of size, buy it to use in RV parks and improved camping areas. Most Americans are used to 120v, and how it works, so as much 120v stuff as possible is better.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:04am
Originally posted by 2P$InAPod

My preference is to install a pure sinewave inverter like the sunforce 1000w (11240) - I am in need of detail instructions. Any tech expert out there that can help or provide suggestions? Thanks in advance.

While I don't know why this is your preference, if you are only going to run the TV, a 100/200 watt is all you need, most TV's pull about 25 watts. You don't want to oversize your inverter any more than you need, their "overhead" is a percentage of their rated watts. aH management is the key to off grid fun. As far as detailed instructions.. either add a 12v plug as needed, or wire to the fuse box.

But the honest and best answer is to get a 12v TV. It's cheaper than a good inverter, and doesn't have the overhead of an inverter.
2P$InAPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:06pm
My preference is to install a pure sinewave inverter like the sunforce 1000w (11240) - I am in need of detail instructions. Any tech expert out there that can help or provide suggestions? Thanks in advance.
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
SuJoPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:49am
We have a 177. The all-in-one Audiovox unit (AC only),  just wasn't going to cut it. The screen was too small and wouldn't adjust to a decent viewing angle. Plus the DVD player was louder than the sound coming from the TV.  We pulled the unit and replaced it with an Insignia 24" AC/DC TV/DVD combo. Purchased a power port and tapped onto the existing 12 volt antenna amplifier circuit. We can use the TV in either mode, but usually leave it powered by battery.  
scentralmt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 3:06pm
I also had the Jensen 120V TV.  I don't understand why they didn't supply a 12V model, I camp mainly in National Forest so no electricity.  I went to Best Buy and found TV's that have a converter to go from 120v
to 12v.  The Insignia models are that way.  The 19" model is $99.99 and the one I got was a 20" with DVD player on sale for $129.99.  I just cut the line and used the wire for the outside light for power, there should also be 12v for the antenna booster.

My trailer is a 177 and the Jensen DVD player is at the other end of the trailer so when using the replacement TV I use it's own remote.  The camper speakers have one back by the bed and the other in the front which I guess is the only way they can do it, so I just listen off the tv speakers.

I would guess there would be other brands out there too.

Curtis
Curtis
2014 177
2001 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm
An option that may be easier, is to buy a 100 watt inverter and use that to power the television.  That also gives you a way to charge your phones/laptops when you are off-grid.  Just don't leave the inverter on when you aren't using it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
MeeshyPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
My husband and I have a 2015 179. The current television is a Jensen 120v. We are planning on replacing it with a Jensen 12v television (same size, 19"). We want to do this because the current television only works if we're plugged into shore power, and we want to be able to watch television off the batteries instead.

We looked under the bottom of the pod, and it looks like that's where all the wiring runs are. Just wondering if anyone has done this mod before, and how they ran the wiring for the 12v outlet (which we plan on installing near the current 120v outlet for the television)?

Can we run our new 12v line with the existing bundle of wires under the rpod? I know I've seen this topic posted before, but no one ever went into any detail in terms of how they ran the 12v line, etc. If anyone has pictures of how they did this mod, that would be extremely helpful, but even just an explanation would be great too.
Michelle & Curtis Nolting
2015 Rpod 179 (MeeshyPod)
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12