Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 5:54am
Thanks - that's helpful. I've now discovered two separate sources of knocking. The first is that the receiver for the trailer hitch is indeed bigger than the hitch. The whole thing wiggles quite significantly and I can hear that on uneven surfaces at speed (but not starting off). 

Then there's another noise - which I've now tracked to the fact that the Curt hitch has less than 3/4" clearance from my tail pipe on one side and that once the exhaust system is hot and under certain engine loads (eg. changing up a gear) it knocks against it briefly. 

Not sure there's an easy fix to either of these things. Unless there's some shim solution to the hitch square problem? And in terms of the Curt hitch it'd mean cutting a small section out of the one side of the t-bar under the car. Which I'm cautious to do...

Anyway, I think these two things fall into the category of annoying rather than urgent.

The ride quality seemed to improve once I filled up the R-pod fresh water tank, which looks to be behind the axle and therefore presumably reduced tongue weight. Still no sway, so that seems to be a happy medium.

Other than that, the rig has done quite well and I'm now in southern Utah. 11-12mpg, the car has been stout and the power-to-weight ratio has actually felt better than the triple-e Unity Mercedes sprinter RV that I rented a couple of years ago. There have been some biggish passes and some moderate sidewinds, but no heart-stopping moments. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 1:16pm
There are solutions for a sloppy receiver, here is just one:  http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Boone-Outdoor/93347.html

For the exhaust, I would look at other alternatives, like adding a support that pulls the exhaust away from the problem area, or adding some silicone caulk on the spot to remove the metal-on-metal contact.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12