R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Dome
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 11:06am
There are at least 2 179's with domes up in this video..

2014 ERU 

And lots of other pods with their domes up, so you can compare the fit..
lillypad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:51pm
Same thing happened to me. I sold mine and I'm waiting on Pahaque.
DHuse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:19pm
Yes, the dome for my '14 179 does NOT fit properly.  The track is short by about 10-12 inches on each side, and I guess because I have the HR edition with risers, the bottom of the dome doesn't come close to reaching the ground at the Pod side like it should.  I would really like anybody whose dome fits their 179 to respond.  Also, I replaced all of the screws in the track to rounded head screws and fitting the dome in the track is now quite easy.

bearclaw68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:47pm
Just got our new dome specific to the 179. 1st attempt stopped by many flaws inside the track. Using a file to smooth out all metal imperfections. Will try again tomorrow
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
mac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 7:01am
I'm having the same problem returning the r-dome. Bought a new 2014 179 at the end of last season. Took it out of storage a couple weeks ago. Haven't camped yet and haven't used the r-dome. After reading the forum posts, I thought I would try to return the r-dome and get the one recently designed to fit the 179. My dealer flat out told me it wasn't possible. Didn't seem to care at all. Frustrating!
mac
lillypad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 8:32pm
Mac, I emailed FR directly and was told to sell mine and that they would do nothing. I am so irritated that they knew they would not be more consumer friendly. It's not like we are claiming something false. They are aware that it isn't the correct fit. And if I hear one more time that "some of the 179 owners are happy with the way it fits" I will scream!
I feel sure anyone who spent their hard earned money on this extra item would be disappointed to know that the company came out with one that fits better shortly after their purchase.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 8:55pm
The "new" Rdomes, for the 179 are out now. 

Some people have posted on here that many owners of the 179 have the old style of the Rdome, and have no problem with it.  I suspect that in many if not all of those cases, they do not have the "Hood River Edition" of the 179, which has the axle risers.  That seems to be the issue, that with the risers, the Rdome does not reach the ground.

For those that keep track of these things, the Forest River Part number for the 179 Rdome is 747RGC13.202

I picked mine up a couple of days ago.  I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, will do so tomorrow.  I'd like to post some pics on here, but I'm not sure how to do so, can someone help me with that?
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
bearclaw68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 1:10am
I hear you lilypad. Makes me wonder if there aren't some FR employees on here. I did get the new 179 specific rdome up today. Took awhile but its up. Did quite a bit of filing on the track yesterday, tightened a bunch of the screws and with some silicone spray got it to slide thru. The right edge needs to drop straight down from the slide, just about mid window. Folded the suction cup grommets to the inside to get a better fit. Wrapped the left side around the rear of the trailer and attached suction cups to the outside there. probably should replace the suction cups with some sort of snaps. They are pretty weak. Everything feels loose but once you put stakes in and the ties off the front corners staked it firms up pretty good. Thinking some velcro tape in areas where dome meets the trailer to stop the many mosquito gaps. The skirt is about 3 ft too long and needs to be cut to drape around the axel. Another mosquito hole thats gonna need to be fixed somehow. The skirt is the weak link, pretty flimsy. I'm gonna spray with campmor water repellent tomorrow, let it dry and see if I can get back in the bag. The directions are fairly useless. A few videos on you tube that will get you started, but like most computer instructions they leave out the tricky stuff. Hope this helps.  If you want pictures just email me, I too can't post on here.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
mac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:05am
Hey guys, I appreciate the responses. Unfortunately I have nothing new to add. Just been dwelling on the situation and it hasn't helped my disposition at all! Have to let it go and move on. I think I'm just going to keep the "ill-fitting" dome for now and maybe try and sell it later and get the right one down the road.
CFWARREN: Thanks for posting the part number for the 179 dome. Did you buy it from FR or a dealer. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?
lillypad: Don't know what to say, but I'm just as upset as you are!

bearclaw: Sounds like even the new one has some issues. I would like to see some pictures if you don't mind, but being new to the forum, I haven't shared e-mail addresses with anyone yet and I'm not sure how to go about that.
                             Thanks again everyone
mac
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:14am
The R-dome stopped fitting larger Pods with risers long before the 179 even came out.  I sympathize with anyone upset by this but it's honestly just the way it's been.

If you have a 179 and the old dome it will fit the same as it's fit my 181g for 5 years now.  It will be short at the Pod side, won't touch the ground, and can't be staked properly.

It doesn't ruin what the R-Dome is or can do, just makes it fit not as perfectly as others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>