R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Dome
    Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 1:22pm
We have a 2015 179.  Spring has us going....Used our RDome for first time last week...Two questions.  When we slid the bead of the tent into the channel that holds the tent to the Rpod we had lots of plastic being cut off the bead by the aluminum channel. Anyone else see this??  I filed the channel back a little and we will see how that worked.  Second...my dome is about 14 to 16 inches longer that the the channel...I have that much of the bead sticking out on each side of channel...seems very strange and hard to keep out drips.....Anyone else have this problem...or is there a conversation someone could lead me to.....thanks
Keith
6163 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 4:27pm
Have 171 but not used dome yet.  Called rpod at 574 642 3119 parts to ask if I would have same problem.  Found out the domes are custom made for each model except there is currently not one made to fit the 179
AKgo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
So I wonder what I bought if one is not avail for 179.....Ummmm thanks...I will call...Thanks
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 7:36pm
Covers are custom made for each model, R-Domes are all the same 13' Dometic Cabana these days.  Although there is a new one coming out for the 179's and the other larger Pods.
AKgo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:56pm
Kymoose
I called FR today. They knew they sold me. Dome that would not "fit" the 179. Told me new dome for 179 out end of month but that they would not exchange. So they lnew I bought a boogus product. Really pissed me off. Called dealer he is trying. Love the pod but now I have NO faith in FR.   
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 9:05am
You have to take a pair of pliers and bend the pointed ends outward of the rail. You can also file them down. They are very sharp edged and will shear off the plastic tube of the rdome.
Same thing happened to us. I just made a mod based on what others on the forum had done.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 6163

Have 171 but not used dome yet.  Called rpod at 574 642 3119 parts to ask if I would have same problem.  Found out the domes are custom made for each model except there is currently not one made to fit the 179

This is wrong. Domes have NEVER been custom made to fit a particular model. The dome is not a FR product. It is by Dometic. They are generic in fit.

The profile of the 179 is different enough from the rest of the pods that they don't fit "as well" on them. We have LOTS of 179 owners who have no problem with their dome or it's fit. FR is working on something to fit a bit better on the 179.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:09am
Originally posted by AKgo

Kymoose
I called FR today. They knew they sold me. Dome that would not "fit" the 179. Told me new dome for 179 out end of month but that they would not exchange. So they lnew I bought a boogus product. Really pissed me off. Called dealer he is trying. Love the pod but now I have NO faith in FR.   

They sold you the currently available dome that fits the 179. Some owners have been unhappy with the fit on the 179, because the rear profile is different than the other pods. FR is working on a solution, I assume a different vendor or design, but it may be as simple as just a longer keder tape. Until that is finalized, I am sure they will continue to sell the very same dome they have been. MOST 179 owners who dome, are happy with it as is.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:47am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by AKgo

Kymoose

They sold you the currently available dome that fits the 179. Some owners have been unhappy with the fit on the 179, because the rear profile is different than the other pods. FR is working on a solution, I assume a different vendor or design, but it may be as simple as just a longer keder tape. Until that is finalized, I am sure they will continue to sell the very same dome they have been. MOST 179 owners who dome, are happy with it as is.

Thumbs Up
bearclaw68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 10:08am
Our dealer pointed out that the dome would not fit the 179. FR. Said the new domes would be ready by April.but at additional cost.Were still waiting.
John and Dolly
09 Tacoma 4x4
RP 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>