Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RPodder from WI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RPodder from WI
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:22am
According to that document and another one it does seem that the 03 4Runner does not have overdrive. However, during my test drive there was a difference between 3rd, 4th, and what seemed like overdrive. I was driving on mostly flat Central Wisconsin roads in D. At about 60mph it pulled about 2000rpm and was sluggish. With a little more gas or holding steady at an incline, it would kick down a gear and run about 2300rpm or so. When I downshifted into 3 the rpm's would kick up further. Note, I did not take notes on the changes, was more concerned about the Rpod's handling at the time.

I will post back after pick up and see if I was just so happy at the idea of getting an Rpod that I was delirious!

Thanks for the link!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 1:24pm
Modern transmissions don't have a separate overdrive gear.  Overdrive just means that one or more of the highest gears gives you a final gearing of less than one.  For your 3rd gear you get 1.000 and for 4th gear 0.705.  What you may be interpreting as a shift into 3rd, 4th may be the transmission torque converter locking up.  That can feel like a shift on some vehicles, or appear to be on the tach because the rpms will drop by several hundred.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WIRpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 6:39pm
Techntrek,

Picked up my 171 today and the vehicle shifting  was similar as my test drive earlier. I took a video of the Tach and Speedometer while driving home (it is short, can send you if you like). At 63-64mph in D running about 2000rpm on flat road, challenging to remain at 2000 rpm towing the 171. When on a slight incline or the engine needs to work harder to maintain speed, it feels like a slight downshift and the rpm's increase to ~2,400. Then I dropped in 3 manually, rpm's increase to ~2,900. 

The 4Runner engine (4.0L v6) has enough power to accelerate properly, but has a hard time holding a gear at highway speeds, switching between the two. 

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 8:14pm
The first increase to 2400 most likely is when the torque converter is unlocking.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WIRpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:53pm
Thanks Techntrek! Will be taking our first cross state trip in a couple weeks and will see how the longer trips go. 

I appreciate the info and your time!
Pod4Two View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:34pm
Welcome
Ina & Philip Kennedy
2011 -177
2014 GMC Z71 4x4
WIRpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:41pm
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! Got the new 171 home in early May and determined that the 2003 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner was not the best TV, despite the factory tow package, for our upcoming road trips. 

Just picked up a 2011 Nissan Titan this past week and looking forward to our summer adventure from WI to Denver, San Diego, Utah and New Mexico for the month of July. Working on adding some shelves over the bed and in the upper kitchen cabinet, after seeing all the great mods other podders have completed. 

Jules View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:51am
Well that does not look good for us then since we hope to tow with a highlander and I think the tow package and tranny are the same.  Of course Toyota and Forest River say no problem.  Our 172 is supposed to come off the line in June.  Maybe I will go car shopping before then but it certainly was not in our budget plans.  Anyone got advice on a Jeep grand cherokee?  I really don't want a truck when we are not towing.  I was ready to take my highlander in to get the wiring and brake controller.  Husband wants to just go ahead with the toyota and wait to see but we plan to go long distances, not local camping.  

Plz let me know how your trip goes since we plan to follow the same route in fall after we pull out of Madison.  
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:20am
Jules, the problem is likely not with springs or power with your Toyota.  I would be far more concerned with the wheelbase, which in my opinion (for what that's worth) is to short in the Highlander.  The Grand Cherokee is better, but I chose to go with a truck.  To each their own.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Jules View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:26am
Thanks, we will be on the lookout for a pod with two bostons.  Our grandpuppy is a boston in San Diego, so that will be a typical destination or stop over.  We are even talking about just storing the pod there, and not driving across the country with it every time but then we wouldn't have it here for things when we wanted it.  Time will tell just how much we use it, I guess.  Have a great trip!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>