Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer camping newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer camping newbie
    Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 10:26pm
We are newbies to trailer camping, only tent camping in the past. We went to our first RV show trying to learn about the world of trailer camping in January this year.  When we saw the R-pod, we knew we wanted one to explode this great country of ours.  My wife has been hooked onto this forum since then and reading all the posts and learning everything about the R-pod and trailer camping in general.  In a couple of weeks, we will be picking up our R-pod 179 in Ohio. We are very excited and can't wait.  However, we are also nervous about towing and all the unknown with owning and operating a trailer camper.
Our TT is a 2002 Honda Odyssey, we got the hitch, brake controller and the 7-pole connector installed from U-haul.  We are currently researching the Automatic Transmission Fluid cooler and Power Steering Cooler as suggested by Honda.  I will be posting questions related to the ATF and PS coolers.
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
Sceide View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:17am
Welcome! We just purchased our 179 a couple of months ago. Just got back tonight from camping at the Guadalupe River State Park in Texas. Had a blast! And got so many good comments about our Rpod (and Rdome).  You will love yours! It's not as overwhelming as you think. You and the Mrs will love it! Welcome!! Be sure to sign up at Forest River Owners Group also. They post tons of stuff as well, including upcoming F.R.O.G rallies. This is a great site too. Lots of super friendly, super helpful Rpod owners. Maybe we'll see you out camping sometime. Thumbs Up
Scott & Heide
'The Pod Squad'
Sceide
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 6:59am
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 179. Our tow vehicle is a Dodge Grand Caravan, we have towed back and forth to Florida and North Carolina multiple times. You should be fine.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
danthoman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:26am
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
Welcome.  I hope you explore the country instead of exploding it.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
2P$InAPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 11:57am
We just picked up the RPod 179, had a Protige Brake controller P2 installed. What is the recommended setting? Currently set to B0, 45....my TT is a Honda Odyssey.
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:47pm
The P2 is a fine quality brake control, but the adjustment will be some different for each trailer tow vehicle combination.

This is what works for me, and I'm a little anal about it, as I'm a guy who once wrecked his trailer/tow rig. Each time I begin towing I bring the trailer up to about 20 mph, and hit the P2's manual control, adjusting the tension on it, if needed, so that the trailer brakes bring us to a stop without grabbing or skidding/locking. This way you always know that your trailer brakes are working, and as long as it doesn't pull to one side or the other, you know that one brake is not adjusted poorly. Once you set your adjustment, you'll seldom have to change the P2's controls, but I always check. Once burned---

Edited by Kickstart - 14 Apr 2015 at 5:45pm
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
danmarkian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 5:09pm
Hi David and Kris,

We just picked up our 179 in Ohio at Jeff Couchs RV Nation last weekend, we love it! One bit of advice, make sure they show you that everything is working, we didn't check the fridge until we were half way back to NC and it won't turn on, and now we are trying to get a call back from their warranty department.

We towed it with a 2006 Xterra, had the big sway hitch and brake controller. We had to play with the adjustment on the controller to get it just right but it wasn't hard. We started out with too hi a setting
and it locked up and skidded (in the parking lot) We started at the lowest setting and added a bit at a time to where I could just feel it assisting.

It pulled great until we ran into some check engine problems with the Xterra, previous to our trip we took it to Firestone for a tune-up and they suggested fuel injection cleaning, the next day the check engine light came on so we took it back.. they said that it indicated the Cat Converter had stuff in it from the cleaning and it would burn away in a few hundred miles, it didn't and the performance got worse all the way home! It's at a dealer shop so we will see what the damage is.

Good luck and have fun, it really is easy to pull, just watch the tracking of the wheels in your side mirrors to keep it in the lane, and if you go through toll booths, watch the wheels and the curb!  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 7:20pm
Definitely different for each rig, as Kickstart said.  All with the same brake controller: with our popup I preferred b1 and 6.9, with the pod b0 and 6.5, with our Salem b1 and 8.5.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hartlej View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 8:22pm
How is the Honda odyssey doing towing your 179?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>