This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew (almost) RPod 179 owner. - Event Date: 24 Mar 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New (almost) RPod 179 owner.
    Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:53pm
I confess. I'm not actually an owner YET. My wife and I saw one at an RV sale last weekend and we were both sold, except for the price in Alaska where we live. $14,000 and change for a 179. I promptly got on line and found out they were $14,000 in Ohio. Trouble is, we're in Alaska, 4400 miles away. That's 8,800 miles round trip, but who's counting. So we looked at the options. 1) Wife drives down and I fly to meet her. I still work she's off in the summer. 2) We drive both ways and have an epic trip. 3) find an RPod owner who wants a partially financed trip to Alaska in a brand new RPod. Just a crazy idea but I've done far crazier things. Any one out there who has an interest in a trip to Alaska???
Alaskan RPoder
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:05pm
Unless you made a typo I don't see why you would want to get a pod from Ohio if they are the same price in Alaska.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Alaskan RPoder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:17pm
You are so right.  I meant 24,000 in Alaska.  Big difference.  Spell check didn't pick it up. Smile
Alaskan RPoder
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 5:28pm
You don't have to be in Alaska for crazy prices.
I was looking for a 177 last year and could not find one in stock in MD. So the dealer (in MD) offered to order me one...........for $23,000. After I haggled it came down to $21,600.
Sad, but true.........so I traveled to a wholesaler in Findley, Ohio. 12 hours round trip but worth it :)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 8:39pm
I think the road trip option is always more fun.  I've done it for multiple large purchases.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jbsimm2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 10:03pm
Look in Idaho or Portland OR at Blue Dog. They should come close to 14k
2012 Nissan Xterra
2014 RP178 (Death Pod)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 1:50pm
Took your advice about Blue Dog in Post Falls.  They were able to do $16000 which is 1500 more than Couch's.  John was very helpful.  This will save me 4000 miles and about a weeks time in just driving.  It's also near relatives so we can visit.  My questions now revolve around what extras should I look at that Blue Dog can do for me other than the standard.  Are two propane tanks a good idea.  What about bicycle rack...I am an avid biker.  Does RPod sell a bike rack of is that something I need to do after the fact.  Not sure even what questions I should ask.  Have been perusing the Forum extensively in the last two days and its been helpful.  
Alaskan RPoder
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 2:14pm
Alaska RPoder,

I also inquired about the price at local dealer here in Anchorage and yes, the price difference is staggering. My guess $3000 of the price difference may go to shipping costs alone. That still leaves a sizeable difference though, and if you are into doing a trip as well then you will save money for sure buying it "outside". I myself am thinking about selling my 172 and getting the 179, as my wife indicated a preference for a slide-out now. I was for the 172 two years ago because of weight concerns (I tow with a Volvo XC90 with a 5,000 pound max rating and 500 pound hitch weight limit.) but think my Volvo should tow the heavier 179 just fine. Will probably add a weight distribution hitch though if I upgrade to the 179.

My experience with the propane is that with not running the heater much at all my propane tank lasts all summer camping....and for us that is about 14 nights total. Remember, additional propane or battery will add weight to the front of your trailer and for me that is something I need to consider as I don't tow with a pickup truck.

I did order a bike rack from Forest River which is approved. Spent a fortune with shipping.....only to find the same approved rack at local walmart priced at $80 or so. The rack is light and not of the best quality, but I can see the reason for keeping the weight down in the back. As you are an avid biker, I could see having someone do some welding on the back frame to strengthen it and getting a good bike rack mounted back there. Just remember you need to make accommodations for the spare wheel/tire which seems to be an issue on the 179 (keep mine under front bunk bed in my 172).

Plan on buying a generator. If you have air conditioning then you need to read more on this forum on what to get. My 2000 watt Honda which is really quiet will likely not run the air conditioning unit, but a 2400 watt Yamaha might. If you only like to charge the battery and not run air conditioning or run the microwave on your trip then your tow vehicle will be enough to charge the battery.

I really like the Pahaque visor instead of the large rpod tent so you might want to look into that as well.

I will also install a window in the door of my current 172, or in the new 179 if I buy one....either a round porthole or a square one.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 5:30pm
Thanks for the info Freezingalaskan.  I just put money down on the 179 out of Blue Dog in Post Falls Idaho.  They seemed pretty competent and from what I've read here they have a good reputation.  Won't drive down to pick it up until late May so it's going to be hard to wait.  Any suggestions for what I should have Blue Dog do while at their place.

Alaskan RPoder
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 5:43pm
I did a lot of research on carrying bikes on my new 178.  Looked at the rack Forest River says is an option for the RPOD and in my opinion it is piece of junk and walmart sells the same rack for $79 (enough said).

Looked at Thule and Yakima racks and they were made a lot better but very expensive.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Yakima rack but when I really looked at the mount for the spare tire (to use the Yakima or Thule the spare tire would have to come off and I would need to carry it in my truck) I started to feel like the 1 and 1/4 inch hitch the spare tire holder fitted into was just to flimsy to start putting a bike rack and two bikes back there.  My local dealer agreed.  They are a Lance dealer as well and one of their techs had installed a front mounted bike rack on several Lance trailers.  I talked to the tech and he said these were very adjustable and would work on an Rpod as well.  He said they were very well make strong and were really neat.  Only problem is they are also very expensive.  They are made in Canada and cost around $500.  However the Yakima rack I was looking at cost $400 so for an extra $100 I could have the best of all worlds.  You can google www.arvika.ca and see pictures of the racks the company makes.  I went ahead and ordered one.  When it is installed I will do a review of it for those that might be interested. 

As far as awnings are concerned, I just received my new awing setup from Pahaqhue Custom but have not had a chance to take my 178 out yet to put the new awning on yet.  When I do I will give a review.  In the meantime you can google www.pahaquecustom.com and look on that site for the new awing for Rpods.  There are some older ones like the visor but this new one looks great.  Similar to the Rdome but much easier to setup and they will fit the new 179 which I have heard the Rdome won't at this time.

As to twin propane tanks, never felt I needed one more as I carry a two and half gallon tank just in case and I am looking at putting a single 7 and half gallon tank instead of the five gallon tank.  Would need to increase the length of the strap down webbing to ensure the tank would stay in place.

Good camping in your new rig once you get it.  Alaska is a great place to own a Rpod.

Cheers
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>