R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Leak
    Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:29pm
Forest River will not cover leak on my camper that is only a little over a year! 
They Suck!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 12:48am
Sorry for your trouble, but it does sound more like a maintenance problem than a warranty issue.  I bought my pod used with no warranty, so I'm not sure about this, but isn't the warranty for one year?  And I do remember reading somewhere in all the stuff that comes with the pod to inspect and re-seal as necessary at least once a year.  (I'm overdue on mine.  This is an unfortunate reminder.)

As others have said, this doesn't sound like that big a deal anyway.  The leak itself is probably almost trivial to fix, and the wall panel shouldn't cost too much, especially if you are any good at DIY.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Belin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 1:08am
Well that's why I got the Pod because it was suppose to be made better. It cost too much to fix and I am a single female so I don't know how to fix it. I just should never have bought it.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 8:29am
R-Pods are a lot better than many campers. That doesn't mean they are invincible.  Has anyone given you an estimate for repairs? 

Depending on where you are, there are folks here who may be able to help.  Podders Helping Podders.  But the first thing to do is probably get an estimate with a detailed description of the work to be done.

And if you aren't going to do the regular maintenance chores yourself, you should find a good shop -- your dealer or a Camping World, for example -- to do them for you while they do the repair.  You really should have all of the seals and gaskets inspected, and probably wheel bearings and brakes.  There is a long list of other things that are recommended, like inspecting the propane part of the fridge, the water heater, and on and on.  Full maintenance isn't too cheap but it's generally cheaper than deferred maintenance and it helps prevent problems on the road.

Since it sounds like mechanical maintenance may not be your forte, let me say that one thing you need to do before you head out each time is torque your wheel nuts.  This is very important!  Folks here can help you understand what's involved.  This forum is a fantastic resource!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:29am
Really? Over some wallpaper and a minor leak, both of which are dead nuts simple to fix and BASIC maintenance issues? There is a sticker, right next to your door, that tells you to check seals every 90 days.

FR sucks? You stated YOURSELF the pod is out of warranty. They don't suck, they are HONORING the conditions of the warranty. If your pod was 11 months old, you would certainly want them to honor it then also, correct?

I hate to say it.. the "I'm a single female" carries no weight. We have LOTS of single females podding who do their own maintenance, customizing and modding, or accept they don't/won't/can't.. and pod on by paying someone else. Plenty of "married males" who do the same. What do you do about car issues? Home issues? lawn mower issues? (sorry, I have to get that off my chest. I hate you are having this minor issue, but, THIS statement is what bothers me the most)

Get a ladder, look on top for the leak. Seal it with caulk. Peel the peeling wallpaper off and replace/recover/paint.. replace the whole panel, whatever works for you. If you think owning a camper is a no maintenance deal.. well, it is. Want to REALLY have fun? Go buy a boat.

The pods are the best built campers in their price range and size. Period. But just like everything else, they do sometimes have problems and they do need to be maintained. Interestingly, there is a thread running very much like this over on the Airstream forums.. Feel good you paid 30% of what that woman paid for her small camper. See, now you feel better, right?

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:38am
Furpod I totally agree with you.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:44am
Originally posted by techntrek

Dicor self-leveling is usually used for all of the roof penetrations.  Don't know about the edges.

Dicor is very good stuff.  Always make certain to clean the surfaces with denatured alcohol before hand, caulk should have an extremely clean surface to bond to.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:30pm
  If it is a mistake something done improperly from the factory I believe it would be covered after the one year warranty. But if it's lack of general maintenance that should of been done from the owner, that is the owners responsibility. We had a electrical problem that was covered by warranty after one year because it was incorrectly wired from factory which could of caused a fire. If it was a leak from a place where the factory forgot to seal, then I think perhaps it could be covered under warranty. A long time ago there was a recall with the r-pods when some of the r-pods under the floor they were not properly sealed in the corners and as a result would have caused water damage, that repair was covered under warranty after one year.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:12pm
My impression is the leak only started recently, so while I would attribute that to a poor initial job done at the factory (which should last for years - after 5 years I never had a problem with window or roof seals, only around the water heater), FR will rightfully argue that at the 1 year mark the OP should have inspected the seals.  Or had someone else do it.

Belin, as I and others have stated, what you describe really is a minor issue as long as it is caught right away.  The wall board isn't hard to replace or resurface, maybe 30 minutes, and the caulk can be scraped off and reapplied in less than an hour (assuming you only do the area above the leak).  

No need to regret the entire purchase.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 5:27pm
Hmm, 5 years. Well, this is my second season and today I inspected every inch of the POD for seal issues. There were spots in the Dicor that looked thin on the penetrations and where the roof meets the wall. The thin areas looked as if they could open at anytime. Now the spoiler, it had problems...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>