R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeeping Fridge Fix - By Jim Fielder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beeping Fridge Fix - By Jim Fielder
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:04am
What is your suggestion for sealant type / brand?
Missouri Matt

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:28pm
If the opening isn't too wide you should be able to use silicone. You can buy it in smaller tubes, you don't need a caulk gun.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Grayotter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:12pm
Are you still happy with your frig repair? We are taking our first trip since our frig beeping episode almost a year ago. So far so good.
Happy Trails,
Gar
Love2 1der
Grayotter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:20pm
Are you suggesting silicone sealer inside the switch unit or spray? Also I remember in deep water crossings when I had a macho 4x4 I sprayed the ignition wires with WD-40 to dry out the wires. Would this work in the frig?
Gar
Love2 1der
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:57pm
Di-electric grease is best. I know Home Depot carries it because I just purchased a can. Comes in a can similar to what WD 40 comes in but has a bigger nozzle since its a grease. It looks like and has a consistency similar to Vasoline. For moisture resistance and enhanced conductivity.
Missouri Matt

densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:07am
I have the same issue with the Dometic refridgerator, after 2 trips to the dealer in which case they could not get it to beep for them and much frustration on my part I started research on the problem. My first fix was to just unplug the switch which solves the problem but that disables the light, reading the tips on the forum I tried to dry it out and put some dielectric grease on the circuit board because I could not find anyway to take apart the switch witch might ruin it, this worked for a while but it started again when we ran into some humid weather so now I am trying forest rivers fix which is to pull back the tape which covers the wire going to the switch and silicone the space around the wire to seal out warm air coming in from behind the fridge and if that don't work I will just leave it unplugged. One more thing I found was because it is a door open alarm that the upper tray in the door has two positions and when its in its outmost position it seams to keep the door from closing all the way resulting with an alarm. Hope this helps someone and Good Luck.
bluecatjudy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:01pm
Thanks so much for all the great info.  I too started having the fridge beep.  I stopped it by defrosting fridge as we were in Pacifica, Calif. with heavy fog.  Still beeped - dried real good inside and adjusted door - still beeped.  Unplugged camper and turned off battery switch for 5 minutes - no beeped now for 24 hrs.  I will be going to the store for dielectric grease, silicone, and drill bit in case it starts again.
sailorman
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:55pm
I am not a big fan of silicone sealant and would be very careful in using silicone around electrical connections. Do not use any of the silicone with an acid cure (acetic acid, smells like vinegar). Use a neutral cure, non-corrosive silicones if you have to. I did not have any beeping with my refrigerator, but I did not want to have the problem while on the road, so I coated the led board with Plasti Dip Liquid Tape, as it says in there brochure, Provides excellent protection from acid, alkaline, and abrasion, Seals out moisture and salt , Strongest dielectric protection on the market, Protects electrical connections on wires, cables, alarms, electronics, Will not harden, unravel or become brittle in extreme weather conditions. Other good one are Performix, Electrical Liquid Tape and Star brite Liquid Electrical Tape (this one comes in clear)
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:40am
Thanks for the suggestion about Plasti Dip. One caution is that it is solvent based, so make sure no power is running to the circuit while it is curing. also, make sure no other ignition source is near (stove, furnace, refrigerator gas burner, etc.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:14am
Yes, Liquid Tape is flammable but only in its liquid state! If the tape is not fully dried it is still flammable.

From the manufacture; always follow the directions on the label.

Surface must be clean and dry. For best results avoid direct sunlight, high humidity or breezy conditions. Using brush cap, stir gently and thoroughly before each use. Always disconnect power before making repairs allowing Liquid Tape to thoroughly dry before restoring power. Follow local electrical codes.
1.Liquid Tape can be used over existing connections using connectors, solder tape and shrink tube.
2.Apply Liquid Tape to connection or repair area. Make sure to completely coat repair for air- and water-tight seal.
3.Allow 10 minutes minimum between coats. A minimum of two coats is recommended.
4.Allow 4 hours minimum dry time before use.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>