Topic ClosedNewbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:45pm
Actually the weight of the 3000 can be a benefit, if you will be camping where it may be stolen.  I hate that I can't move mine w/o a 2nd person, but then again, neither can a thief (and I removed the handles).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 11:43pm
Welcome. Love the 171, quick and easy set-up and pack-up. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
txbonds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 6:22pm
Sorry for the long post. Picked the 171 up this weekend. 

Sold our 2015 kawasaki mule that wasn't getting used so I was able to pay cash.  Ended up getting it for $13,700 before sales tax and tag which seemed pretty good for Florida.  Wish it was the hood river package though. ;)

Since buying we also picked up all the extra junk that kills ya like surge protector; extra extension 30 amp cord; 50 amp service adapter; 20 amp house adapter; two 25' drinking water hoses with cartridge filter, right angle adapter and 50 psi regulator; 9x12 patio rug, etc.

Mounted a few small things like a paper towel holder above the sink, remote control holder by TV and another in rear bed area, and a knife rack on wall to left of the stove. 

Lastly, I already had a honda 2000 inverter model so I went ahead and picked up the honda 2000 companion generator with parallel cord and twist lock adapter cord (got free cover and $25 gift card at camping world).  Was cheaper than buying a larger unit but I can't help but think how much easier setup with a honda 3000 handi model would have been but I was concerned that 
It wouldn't have enough umph to start the AC if other items were running on electric. 

So, that brings me to the poor house (but with a paid trailer and title in hand). LOL.  Now I'm looking at a couple of other things I want.  An awning or r-dome for the side and possibly a custom platform and box for the front tongue that will hold a propane tank on either side of the platform and a box in the middle to carry the two honda 2000s during transport.  Would have to move the battery to the front.   Also looking into weight distributing hitch with sway control but I'm already adding some air bags to the rear of my 4Runner in heavier duty springs to help with all of the weight of my custom steel bumper and other off road upgrades before the trailer tongue gets added. 

Whew!  That was a mouthful. Cheers. 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 7:54pm
Looks good together.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 8:12pm
Wow, Ka Pow...talk about hitting the ground running...you are set to go anywhere! Congratulations!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
txbonds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:23pm
I've flim-flamed all over the place on generator power having returned the 2000 companion model and researched a billion configurations of single setups from the champion 3100, the honda 3000 and 3000 handi, the yammy 3000 and the yammy 2400.  Pretty much narrowed my options down to the best bangs for buck as the single champion 3100 versus the 2000 companion. 

3000 Honda and yammy ruled out
In trying to decide what makes most sense I've spent a ton of time researching ways to carry them, secure them, load and unload them, etc.  big part of my decision is made on the weight factor, followed by ability to power needs, and lastly price.   This is how I've ruled out the big 3000 honda and yammy as I just can't find a good way to handle that much weight with my TV and the r-pods available cargo spots.

Ruling this big guys out leaves the yammy 2400, honda 3000 handi, champion 3100 and the Honda 2000 companion.   

2400 Yammy ruled out
I ruled the yammy 2400 out when I went to look at it and decided that it just didn't offer enough run time or output as compared to its size. It's just not much smaller than a 3000 model.  If it had output similar to the Honda handi it might make more sense. 

3000 Honda Handi ruled out
This could have been the perfect generator but it just cost too much in my opinion for what you get. Had this one been around the $1500 mark I'd have jumped on it but for $2300 it has reduced run time, louder engine and reduced continuous run output over the larger 3000.  Wanted it to work but didn't make sense to me. 

So, I'm down to the Champion 3100 or a second Honda 2000 companion model for about the same price. 

3100 Champion pull start
I like the idea of the Champion but just don't know much about them and am having a hard time getting comfortable with the brand inspite of the good reviews. It seems to offer good peak and continuous run time and a fair and manageable weight of 80 lbs.  is a little louder than Honda but probably no louder than 2 honda 2000's. Comes with a 30 amp rv plug already on it so no adapter. Run time is less than big Honda but probably still fine for night of AC use. 

2000 Honda companion
Didn't want to fool with twin engines and tanks and didn't like idea of dealing with extended run tank as I figure gas will get everywhere when breaking camp down.  The positive note is I was able to get my 13.5 AC to start and run on my existing Honda 2000i but it freaked out big time when the compressor kicked on. Would run microwave too but not at same time. Means that two in parallel should have no prob handling whole trailer I would think. 

EDIT:   So, in the end, I re-purchased the Honda 2000 companion, parallel cable and twist lock adapter from Camping World. Will just need to make a creative mount setup to carry them both with me. I have a handful of ideas to explore based on my TV and some changes I want to make on the tongue converting to twin propane and battery setup. :)
txbonds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:31pm
First fun weekend with 171

And one of our campsite buddies
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 8:02am
I like the weights for the EZ-UP, where did you get them?
txbonds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 8:28am
Originally posted by techntrek

I like the weights for the EZ-UP, where did you get them?
i found them at the local camping world store. Work really well and store great under the front setee seats. 
Joe-n-Terri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 8:37pm
Looks great congrats!
Joe & Terri
2015 179
2015 Ram 1500 crew cab/ eco diesel
2005 Ram 1500/ Tekonsha Controller
Lovestarved Pom/Demanding Chihuahua
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>