R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod insulation question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod insulation question
    Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:47pm
We've had our new RP-179 for 9 days, and it is still winterized and parked in our driveway.  I have the power cord plugged in to keep the batteries up.  We have been having good weather during the days, but the temp has been dropping down in the 20's at night.  I put a thermometer inside the Pod to moniter temp and humidety.  Yesterday morning it was 24 deg. outside and I went out to the trailer it was 28 deg inside.  The afternoon before when I closed the Pod up for the night it was in the 60's inside.  I was thinking the trailers inside temperature wouldn't drop that much. Especially to be freezing.  Is that what I should expect? Only 4 degrees warmer inside than outside?
This morning it was 28 deg outside, and 32 deg inside the Pod.
Lamar
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
I think the walls have 2 inches of rigid foam 2 inches of fibreglass in the ceiling. that gives you an R value of about 10 in the walls and 7.4 in the ceiling. Most houses have a wall Rvalue of at least R25 so yes without a source of heat inside I would expect that the inside and outside temps would be equal after a few hours. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:05pm
The walls are 1 5/16" the door is 1 1/2" thick.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:05am
I think I need a small electric heater to keep in the pod while it's stored during the cold season.  I thought I read somewhere that a ceramic heater shouldn't be used.  Could someone give me a recommendation on what to use?
Lamar
Buxmont View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:30am
I use a dehumidifier (1000 cubic ft) that uses heat to keep the air dry. You leave it on 24/7, it uses as much electricity as a light bulb, and I've noticed on really cold days (low 20's) it keeps the pod 20 degrees warmer inside. My pod is covered so not sure if that makes a difference. Whats nice about this product is it keeps the moisture down (no mold or mildew) and it gently heats the pod!

http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Air-Dryr-1000-Dryer/dp/B0014TMXVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424967878&sr=8-1&keywords=Davis+Instruments+Air+Dryer

2015 178 Rpod
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:22pm
Most here use small electric heaters at campsites when hookups are available.  If by "ceramic" you mean one of several catalytic heaters on the market (Mr. Buddy, Olympic Wave) they aren't a problem but I wouldn't use propane at home when you can plug in.
However, there is no reason the interior can't be left to get cold.  If your area goes below freezing, winterize with pink antifreeze and forget about it all winter.  If not, just forget about it.  Our area goes down to 0 F at least once each winter (much more often this year!) and we never had a problem. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 4:37pm
Furpod has been down to -15 on the inside.. survived. We use a electric ceramic heater all the time. Ours is a little 1000watt Sunbeam: Seen here, not plugged in, sitting on the bench.

lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:04pm
Thanks for the replies back.  I kept a small electric ceramic heater in my previous travel trailer.  I just thought I had read recently that they were not recommended.
Lamar
beechridge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:41pm
Since bringing my 171 back to New Hampshire, it's been getting down to 30 (or less) at night.  I have an oil filled electric heater http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRN0812T-Portable-Oil-Filled-Programmable/dp/B000G1CXZI/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429925877&sr=1-4&keywords=delonghi+heater that I had bought to keep the water well closet heated in my home.  On a low setting, it has been doing of great job of keeping the Pod comfortable while I get it ready to go.  Very even heat, no fan to blow dust around, and it fits in the pass through under the bed.  I've decided to bring it with me on my extended trip.
samiam2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 4:19pm
I have 2 of the same heaters as FURPOD....Propane is to $$$ to heat a trailer.

My dog and I lived in our (The DOGS LOL) Rpod 179 for the month of Nov. and 1/2 of Dec. in 2014. I live in Texas and went bird hunting in Illinois Nov-Dec. 2014. I was at 2 different state parks, my camp sites were on the water. I used a small ceramic heater, and two when it dropped down below 20deg. I never had any issues and the trailer stayed comfortable. I used the trailer heater once, during a really bad freezing rain/windy storm at -0 degs.

I took the trailer out to a state park in Austin, Tx in Jan for 4 days. During the days I had windows cracked/open, and at night ceramic heater on low. A fellow camper (camp ground host) couldn't believe how comfortable the heater kept the trailer. The trailer is the right size for small heaters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>