R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery life off-grid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery life off-grid
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by lamarkeiko

Furpod,
I hope I'm not pestering you with too many questions, but I'm just trying to get myself setup the most convient and effecient way to maintain my pod batteries before I go dry camping off the grid.
Just to be clear, are you saying that if I'm using my Honda generator to maintain my pod batteries, I can charge them faster if I connect the pod power cable to the generator 120 vac receptical than if I connected the generator pos/neg batt charging output connectors straight to the pod battery with about 10' of about 4 ga cables?   I know that higher voltage has less power loss through cables, but going through the pod power cord and back to the batteries must be 50' long, vs 10' and heavier cables.

Cable loss is minimal over the distances and gauges we are concerned with. The limiting factor is that the 12v charge side of the Honda inverter generators will only charge at 8A. period.

Your built in converter will charge at 55A. It is also a smart charger so it will give the battery as much as it can take, within it's limitations.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:05pm
A few comments on battery charging methods off grid. I also have a Tacoma with built in 400W inverter.

First, read my previous post at http://rpoA d-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5651&KW=charge&PID=55245&title=comparison-of-battery-charging-methods#55245

It details a set of tests I ran using the Tacoma with direct battery-to-battery connection vs using the Pod converter with the built in Tacoma inverter.

The first conclusion is that direct connection using heavy copper jumper cables provides the highest charge current.

The second highest current is from the built-in Pod converter running from "clean" shore power, but this is not available when dry camping.

The third highest current is provided from the RPod converter plugged into the truck inverter. Apparently the Pod converter does not like the Tacoma's inverter waveform. When dry camping this hookup may appear more convenient, but it's not as effective as battery to battery jumper cables.

If you're carrying a generator another method would be to plug the Pod power cable directly into the 120V socket on the generator with the appropriate adapters. The generator's 12V charger is essentially useless for this application. Since a 1000W gen is not adequate for AC or microwave I don't know why you'd carry one.

Summary: use high quality jumper cables from the truck to the Pod batteries. "High quality" means #4 copper for 10 feet max, or #2 copper for 20 feet.

An added note on batteries: If you start with a single Gp 24 12V battery, as is the usual case from a dealer, I would replace it with two 6V GC 2 golf cart batteries in series, even if your OEM battery is brand new. The two GC 2s are are about 40% better than adding a second Gp 24 in parallel. 

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:06pm
Thanks furpod.  Sounds like pod power cable to generator is best way to go.  My only problem now is, I tried that a couple days ago, and the adapter I was supplied with from pod power plug to standard 120 receptacle won't fit in my generators 120 receptacle.  It's too big and won't clear.  I purchased 12" of 12 ga cord that I'm putting a female plug to match pod plug on one end, and standard 120 ac male plug on other end.
Lamar
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:14pm
Yep. Been there, tried that too. When using the truck inverter I plug a short heavy extension cord into the truck and join the Pod cable to it using a "hockey puck" adapter. About the same place you're going. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:19pm
The pod has a 30 amp 120 volt plug, you can buy a "dogbone" or "hockey puck" adapter cheaply.  The "dogbone" type is safer to some degree.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
I don't know what a dogbone or hockey puck type adaptors look like, but attached is a picture of my generator receptacle, and the adaptor that was supplied with my pod.
Lamar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 2:57pm
I need a smaller image file.  Hope this is better.
Lamar
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm
If I used the high quality cables between the Tacoma's battery to my pod batteries, what are the risks to over-doing it and damaging my batteries?  What precautions should I employ?  Is it appropriate to monitor the panel inside the pod and discontinue charging when all four lights are on?
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 3:32pm
Lamar,

The item you're holding in the picture is what we refer to as a hockey puck adapter. It looks like it will not fit due to the recessed socket on the generator, but the idea is good. Another option is http://www.amazon.com/Voltec-16-00502-15-30-Adapter-E-ZEE/dp/B004ZMUKH2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1425154302&sr=8-8&keywords=15+amp+30+amp+adapter

This is called a dog bone adapter and is a available from many vendors. You could use the puck you have with a standard short extension cord. Short cords rated at 15A are easily obtained and you would plug it into the generator; then use your hockey puck adapter between the extension cord and and the RPod power cord. With your 1000W gen your not going to draw more than 8 Amps so a 15 Amp rated extension will be fine. If you're going to spend money I'd go with the dog bone. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 3:43pm
1tulip,

The only caution with the jumpers is making sure you have + to + and - to - and you're careful when handling the cables during connection/disconnection. The Tacoma's charging system will protect against any over-charging. The OEM monitor in the Pod is totally useless for determining battery charge level. A better way is to check the battery voltage under no charge/discharge or very minimal discharge. Inexpensive digital voltmeters for this purpose are available. After a short resting period you compare the reading against published charts to determine State Of Charts. Lots of threads around here help you figure it out.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>