R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery life off-grid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery life off-grid
    Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:30pm
IF you are going to charge the pod battery(ies) using your tow vehicle... Turn it around and use a set of jumper cables. They are much higher gauge and can move way more electrons faster. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by lamarkeiko

I also have a couple questions on battery charging, since I will be dry camping in Yosemite this spring.  I have a Honda 1000 watt generator I plan on taking with me since it is allowed to operate one a few hours each day.  How much time does it take to recharge a depleted battery with the power cord plugged into the generator?
     The next question I have is maintaining the Pod battery with a solor panel.  My RP-179 came pre wired solar ready.  Has anyone maintained their pod battery with a solar panel, and what size would be recommended?

Same thing applies that I said above.  Only run it 30-60 minutes every other day.  When on a generator the point isn't to fully charge the battery each day, it is to just put the most amps in that you can for the amount of gas you are burning.  However, every 7 days you do need to fully charge the battery.

You can use solar, if you'll be camping where there is no shade.  Even a little shading on a PV panel will cut its output most of the way.  I recommend 200 watts.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by furpod

IF you are going to charge the pod battery(ies) using your tow vehicle... Turn it around and use a set of jumper cables. They are much higher gauge and can move way more electrons faster. 

+1.  And make sure they are a good set, not a lightweight cheap set of jumper cables.  Do not use the Bargeman connection.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by 1tulip

My TV is a tacoma and it has an electrical outlet in the bed that offers "400 W while idling".  Can I hook an extension cord to my truck's electrical outlet and connect that to the pod's outlet, as I would at home when charging the batteries?

400 watts definitely won't run the converter in the pod, it has a large inrush current when it is plugged in for starters.  The inverter in your truck may not run any charger, actually, since it is most likely modified sine wave and many chargers don't like MSW.

The conversion from DC to AC back to DC won't be nearly as efficient as connecting directly to the TV battery.
lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by techntrek

[QUOTE=furpod]IF you are going to charge the pod battery(ies) using your tow vehicle... Turn it around and use a set of jumper cables. They are much higher gauge and can move way more electrons faster. 

+1.  And make sure they are a good set, not a lightweight cheap set of jumper cables.  Do not use the Bargeman connection.

I would still like further information that is still related to my previous questions.

1.  In regards to using my generator, I know that if I want AC to my trailer, I will need to connect the pod power cable to the generator.  If I just want to maintain the charge to the pod battery, I'm assuming it would be more efficient to connect from the +/- battery charge terminals of the generator straight to the pod battery.  As mentioned on my previous post, my pod is solar ready by ZAMP.  Near my battery connections, are two unconnected and insulated leads marked with ZAMP pos & neg.  Is this for solar panel connections, and/or generator connections?

2    Now in regards to solar power, with my pod being wired solar ready.  Is the jack marked with the Solar Ready & ZAMP where a solar panel with charge controller is to be plugged in, and do I have to use a ZAMP system there?  I believe I  could purchase a much less expensive system elsewhere.
Lamar
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by lamarkeiko

I would still like further information that is still related to my previous questions.

1.  In regards to using my generator, I know that if I want AC to my trailer, I will need to connect the pod power cable to the generator.  If I just want to maintain the charge to the pod battery, I'm assuming it would be more efficient to connect from the +/- battery charge terminals of the generator straight to the pod battery.  As mentioned on my previous post, my pod is solar ready by ZAMP.  Near my battery connections, are two unconnected and insulated leads marked with ZAMP pos & neg.  Is this for solar panel connections, and/or generator connections?

2    Now in regards to solar power, with my pod being wired solar ready.  Is the jack marked with the Solar Ready & ZAMP where a solar panel with charge controller is to be plugged in, and do I have to use a ZAMP system there?  I believe I  could purchase a much less expensive system elsewhere.

1) Charging with a generator, using it's 12v cable, will output less than 10A to the charging battery (ies), the Honda 2000i sends a max of 8 amps. If you plug the pod shore cable in, and charge through the built in converter/charger it will charge at (up to, as needed) 55amps. So much faster and more efficient to use the shore cable connection.

2) You can hook up any solar system, or assemble components as you want or need, within reason. The ZAMP connector is "SAE", an yes, if you want to use their plug.. that is where you plug in.. beyond that it's just wires run to the battery.

Good things have been said about the Renogy 100w foldable system on Amazon, about $275. A SAE connector has to be sourced and installed, about $5. If you want to use the pre-wired ZAMP plug.

Just as a note.. the alternator on my tow vehicle is rated at 200A, and my truck is as quiet or quieter than just about any generator out there. The trucks on-board electronics will charge my Pod batteries at as safe, and fast, a rate as they can handle, with jumper cables.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 6:46pm
Thanks for the reply back.  The 100w foldable Renogy solar panel I actually put on my Amazon wish list yesterday.  I also read the reviews, which sounded very good.  
I'm guessing that those two unconnected pos & neg cables in the battery cable harness marked ZAMP, are to be connected if a solar panal is plugged into the ZAMP solar panel Jack.  Is that correct?
Lamar
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 7:17pm
On that I just have to say.. "I guess."

I actually understood them to be hooked up on delivery, but no doubt you will need to do it if it isn't done. I added a zamp connector to one of my battery box tops. The other has a cut off switch.
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 10:37am
Night #1 in the winterized r-pod, using only the furnace, (outside temp ~28 degrees, keeping inside temp ~65) no appreciable drain on batteries.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:27pm
Furpod,
I hope I'm not pestering you with too many questions, but I'm just trying to get myself setup the most convient and effecient way to maintain my pod batteries before I go dry camping off the grid.
Just to be clear, are you saying that if I'm using my Honda generator to maintain my pod batteries, I can charge them faster if I connect the pod power cable to the generator 120 vac receptical than if I connected the generator pos/neg batt charging output connectors straight to the pod battery with about 10' of about 4 ga cables?   I know that higher voltage has less power loss through cables, but going through the pod power cord and back to the batteries must be 50' long, vs 10' and heavier cables.

Lamar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>