R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP-179 slideout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP-179 slideout
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm
I just bought a 2015 RP-179 two days ago.  During my walk through and demonstration of the slideout operation, I brought up the question of how to operate the slideout manually in the event of no power or motor breakdown. The service rep stated that there was no way to bring the slide back in manually, and commented that I could tow the trailer with the slide out.  I thought that very unusual at the time, but I didn't question him further.  Since I've been home, and have been reading through the manual, Pg 18 & 19 tells how to operate the slide manually in the event of a power failure.  Could a RP-179 owner let me know what the true story is.  And if I can operate the slide manually, where is the hydraulic landing gear?
Thanks
Lamar
Lamar
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 4:03pm
Welcome.  Yes, all slides can be operated manually and no, you should never tow with the slide extended.

I would recommend you find a new dealership for future service, if you can.  They sound like the one I bought my pod from - where the service staff completely botched two jobs when I had left written instructions.  Bottom line, your service staff doesn't know a basic rule about campers which makes them suspect on the more complicated stuff.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 4:18pm
Thanks for the quick reply back.  I'm going out right now to try and figure out how to operate the slide manually.  Hopefully no special tools required.
Lamar
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 7:10pm
Everything that Doug said x2.   Its your dealership that's going to make or break how your camping experience goes. Run as fast as you can away from that dealership.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 7:13pm
Our Kodiak, like the RP179 has a Schwintek Slide system. We received a Lippert RV Component Manual and pretty comprehensive Owner's Manual with the Kodiak. Each has a lot of info on the Schwintek slide included. This is one area where Dutchman is better than what we found from Forest River.

A few other things: Look on YouTube. There's a lot of Schwintek info there. Also, the guy who did the walkthrough for us with the Kodiak was also the shop Schwintek technition, and he stressed not getting into the habit of running the Schwintek in or out partially. Unless necessary, he said to make sure you run it all the way out or all of the way in with no stops. If your tech didn't show you how to lube the slide track and motors, then this is also found on YouTube. Although he said that something like WD 40 would work, he recommended a PTFE lube, which was Ok by me, as I've always been a TRI Flow guy.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 7:36pm
My 2ยข...First step is to properly identify your slide and then source the correct manual. There are several types and the procedures are different for each one. 

If you can confirm the manufacture is Lippert, and the slide you have is the Schwintek wall slide, there a few things you can do before having to disconnect the electrical on the motors and simply push the slide back in, which of course you will need help to do. 

-another reference requires the motors be disengaged by removing a screw and lifting the motor out of its seat before pushing... 

This link Technical Support Center and Videos may be helpful. 

I can't speak specifically about the 179 because I have a 178 and it has an "Over the Floor Slide"

Good luck, come on back and let us know what you learn. 

EDIT: The link is mis-behaving... after you click it, on the left side menu go to: "Slide-Out Selections", then "In Wall Slide-Out" Then "Manuals"  

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
LePodders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:25am
I was told by our dealer you have to remove the soft panel on the left of the fridge, unlock the motor??, and manually push the slide in. I havent looked at the manual yet. But I am definently curious how to get slide in in case of an issue.
Keenan, Kathryn, Millie, Rio & Cali (2015 r pod 179)
Poddy by Nature
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by LePodders

I was told by our dealer you have to remove the soft panel on the left of the fridge, unlock the motor??, and manually push the slide in. I havent looked at the manual yet. But I am definently curious how to get slide in in case of an issue.

This is consistent with what I have read...although there may be two motors, one on each slide. The manual suggests there are other steps to override before having to disengage motors and pushing.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:19am
There are videos of how to manually operate the Schwintek slide as well as pdfs for it.
lamarkeiko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 12:28pm
Thanks for all the interest and replies back.  I've watched several of the U Tube videos on disconnecting the motors, and doing the manual overide with the controller circuit board.
Here is what I have found, or better said, not found on my RP-179.
With the slide out, I can see where it is probably very easy to peal back the rubber seal to access the single screw that holds the motors on each side.  I never physically tried that on my trailer though.  The problem I have is that even with those screws removed, and the slide in a completely open position, once I go back inside to pull back the rubber seal and lift up the motors to disingage from the tract.  That can't be done, because the inside framework of the slide prevents access to the motors.  With the slide stuck about halfway or all the way in the motors could probably be removed.  I was able to see the motors when the slide was in.  My biggest fear would be to have the slide stuck all the way out.
The other videos covering the manual overide on the controller sounds like the first thing to try in case of a stuck slide.  I don't know where that circuit board is located, so if any one knows, please let me know.  I think we need more specific slide information just for the RP-179.

Lamar
Lamar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>