R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Heater/ Tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater/ Tire
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 5:37pm
We took our rpod 176 out this weekend. Hubby lit the hot water heater. He said more than once he heard it go "poof" really loud and had to relight it. Does anyone know why it would do this. It was a little windy so wonder if it was the wind. Also a friend camping next to us said there is a knob or button next to the water heater area that will allow it to run on electricity and we could choose between the two. Is that true? 

For future reference how do you or where do you take your pod to have new tires put on it? How would they jack it up? I have read other threads about how to jack it up to change a flat and seemed everyone was sketchy on it not wanting to bend the frame. 

I am about to be taking the pod out for several short trialing trips within the next few months so any tips or info you feel is important or just want to give is appreciated. TIA
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 6:59pm
Not sure about the wind factor, I'm sure other Podders with more field time will chime in and help with that one, that said, there are several reasons it could be going poof and relighting. One could be air in the line, we always purge the gas line by lighting the stove burners for 30 seconds as part of our camp set up procedures. 

Yes, it is true, there is a switch under the panel outside, make sure there is water in the tank before you turn it on. It doesn't take much to damage the heating element, if the tank is empty. 

You can have tires put on anywhere that mounts tires, but you may want to make sure they lift the POD properly. You are right to state that it seams kinda sketchy on where and how to lift the POD. The reason? Well there is no clear statement anywhere on how to do it. The axle manufacture (Lippert) says "never lift the POD by the Axle" and to follow the RV manufacture instructions for lifting which I have not been able to find. So I called Forest River directly and in fact they recommend lifting the POD by the axle as near to the tire being removed as possible. 

Good luck! Happy Podding!
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:23pm
It is possible wind was a factor.  With our popup if there was high wind I actually had to prop the water heater cover open slightly to keep it lit (hang a tent stake in the hole of the "lock tab" and let the cover rest against the stake).  I don't know why it worked, I read it on a popup camping forum and it worked for others, too.  It is also possible you just heard it cycling off normally.  The pilot light will continue to burn between cycles.

A note about the water heater - you can use electric and propane modes at the same time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:17am
The water heater is DSI (Direct Spark Ignition), so I'm confused when you say "had to relight it."  It has no pilot light - there's nothing to light or relight.  You turn on the switch inside and the electronics take care of the rest.  Its completely automatic - when it calls for heat, the sparker turns on, the propane turns on and the burner lights.

And, yes, it'll go "poof!" every time it automatically ignites to heat the water (followed by the roaring sound of the burner at full bore).

everyone was sketchy on it not wanting to bend the frame

Yes, its an issue that always gets blown out of proportion.  Put the jack on the frame directly behind the axle (or put it on the frame in front of the axle if it suits your fancy - but, I find the jacked-up trailer to be stabler with it behind).  It won't bend the frame.  I do strongly recommend against jacking by the sprung axle itself.

Personally, when I've got a wheel off at home to do maintenance (e.g. inspecting and lubing the bearings), once its jacked-up, I'll also put a pair of jackstands under the frame as a safety measure.  If you're at the roadside changing a flat tire, and relying on just a jack, make sure that everyone is a goodly distance away from the trailer - just in case that jack fails.

Bending the frame comes when you have the trailer up on jack(s) and decide to go inside and walk around a bit.  If you're concerned that may happen (e.g. someone may think its a great opportunity to use the toilet) - lock the trailer door before jacking it up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:54am
Changing the tire: Outbound says put the jack on the frame directly, yet other posts say put the jack on the axle.  I really wish there was a consensus on this.
crayzie4dogs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the answers. I worded it wrong. When it would go "poof" the light on the wall inside the camper would turn red. So would go outside to reset. Then could hear it try a time or two or would relight. Maybe it's just louder than I think it should be. Like the a/c and heater! LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Outbound

The water heater is DSI (Direct Spark Ignition)...

Ah, right, in my post I was confusing the WH we had on our popup and on our current TT.  My bad!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by crayzie4dogs

Thanks for the answers. I worded it wrong. When it would go "poof" the light on the wall inside the camper would turn red. So would go outside to reset. Then could hear it try a time or two or would relight. Maybe it's just louder than I think it should be. Like the a/c and heater! LOL

Not sure why you are going outside to reset, you should just turn the switch inside off-on.  However, there have been times our light came on and I just waited a few minutes and it fixed itself.

There are things you can do to make the A/C quieter.  I have a post on that.
crayzie4dogs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:52pm
Thanks, I will have to see if it resets by itself. 
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by kylekai

Changing the tire: Outbound says put the jack on the frame directly, yet other posts say put the jack on the axle.  I really wish there was a consensus on this.

Watched Forest River technicians changing tires on a Pod.  On the axle directly under the frame.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>