R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerators - Event Date: 11 Feb 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generators
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:37pm
Wink Hello! 👋 We are new to the forum. We bought a 2014 R-pod 178 in the fall of 2013, and are now towing it with a 2015 Toyota Tundra double cab V8. We have only taken her out approx. 4 times, but now that we are completely retired and have a plan to travel this summer. Each time we have gone out we have been hooked to full service, but trying to get ready for those times when we need to dry camp for a week, we purchased a Honda 2000i (campanion type) Generator. I have a question for those seasoned R-plodders, do you think it is sufficient enough to run the A/C and all appliances or do we need to buy the campanion and Piggyback them? 
Thank you,
Cathy
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:59pm
2000w won't start the air con.  It will run everything else.  Yamaha makes a 2400iSHC that will start the air con most of the time.  It won't let you use the oven and the air con at the same time.

You could get a Honda 3000w generator, or another 2000 and link them.  The 3000 is hard to move around.  Two 2000s are a lot to haul around, but you should have plenty of room with your Tundra.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Lily Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:20pm
Thank you TT! The information really helped. But you answered what we feared, that it wasn't enough juice. But had to ask as we are old time tent campers, and having the R-Pod now, we don't want to ruin thing off the bat. The info is greatly appreciated! 👍
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:21pm
The nice thing about 2 2000w generators is that you don't have to carry them both all the time.  If you can get away without air conditioning on a trip 1 2000w generator will do everything that needs doing.

Depending on where and when you got the generator you have you might be able to return it in exchange for a 3000.  The store might be glad to make that deal.  You just have to think about which way you want to go.  A 3000 can really damage a back if it has to be lifted off and on the truck.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Lily Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:46pm
Yeah, we ordered it from Camp World, and we ordered the campanion type so just in case we needed to order another one to piggyback. We just talked about that, and the only time we will need to use the A/C is when we are in PA, but then we will have full hook up. Mainly need lights and appliances for this year. 
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

.. Snipped to here:  A 3000 can really damage a back if it has to be lifted off and on the truck.

The generator weight issue has suddenly gotten very real to me: I fell & got a fractured T-12 vertebra.  Am now limited to around 15-20 lbs, at least for the next few weeks.  Am trying to convince my little 5' tall wife to start weight training so she can handle gen sets, etc.  So far, she's not buying into the idea. Embarrassed
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Lily Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 11:17pm
Oh No! Sorry to hear that John... Hope for a speed recovery for your sake and for Teri too... 😉
Jack tweeked his back years ago moving a combo battery pack for a bulldozer, and every once in awhile it still raises its ugly head. Good luck!

Cathy

Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 11:59pm
Thanks, Cathy.  Hopefully just a matter of being patient & not rushing things.  Should be out of the brace near end of March .. then start the PT. Smile
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 11:09am
I've had back issues for years.  I've considered engineering a small portable crane - basically an engine hoist - to lift my Honda EU3000 onto the cargo tray it rides on.  Even w/o back issues it is too heavy for me to lift on my own.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Lily Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 3:53pm
I think we are going to take Tars advice of just using one Honda 2000i w/o using the A/C. Then maybe next year purchase a second Honda 2000i, so we can piggyback then together. Jack and I are not getting any younger and have enough problems with our backs, and not wanting to them worse.. Thank you Tar, John and Tech for the info on hurting ourselves. We'd much rather lift two something's together at hat is little lighter than one heavy beast.... Happy Podding everyone! 
C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>