R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pepmac View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 10:41am
We have the dome and we have the new awning for the R Pod . We use both depending on the amount of time and the weather for when we camp. LOVE the dome and prefer that but the awning we use for a 2 day week end and if we think it might rain as it is easier for us to take and dry out . we have to store our R Pod and we do not have easy access for drying the dome.
2rsinapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 10:22am
We use our often. We un-zipped and removed the entire front portion and never use it. The remaining Dome provides protection from sun and rain and with the front removed we still have the open feeling. If bugs are a problem we move inside for the duration. We have never tried to set up with the screen skirting and the bottom does not fit with the risers installed so we don't try to bug proof it at all. So far ..... so good.   
'15 r-pod 178
'17 F150 2.7L ecoboost
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:54pm
We usually use our EZ-ups.  We would set up the dome for a week-long trip.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Viperbyte View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
We love our R-Dome. As others have stated, it extends the space so it is great for storing all the extras needed for the camping trip.

Concerning wind, as long as you anchor it down with the tent stakes, it holds up well. We have had it through a number of strong thunderstorms and it has never gave way. It has always stayed dry inside.

Setting up once you get the hang of it is done in a few minutes. I would recommend a small foot stool or step ladder though to set the 3 top poles. Setting up in a strong wind is interesting. LOL I need to shoot a video of that one.

Overall, I am glad we have the R-Dome and I would highly recommend it for anyone getting an R-Pod. Well worth the money.
Jon & Missy
Bandit, Willy, Woody, & Fargo (The Pod Pack)
2015 (Early) R Pod 179
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V8 4x4
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 5:58pm
The 'Dome was one of the primary reasons we chose the R-Pod, and remains one of the stumbling blocks to an "up-grade".  I would love to have a fore and aft queen, but the two major contenders don't have the 'Dome!  (The FR Surveyor and the KZ Spree Connect, should you care to Google them.)

We erect the 'Dome rain, shine, heat or cold and live most of our time therein.  It now takes me about 20 minutes start to finish.  We cook either on charcoal, or on an induction plate in the 'Dome.  In fact, I have removed the gas burner top in favor of additional counter space.  Yes, we use the microwave.

The R-Dome is home for the Campin' Cocker Spaniels all day, too.  They love to survey their domain and nose-bark at the passing neighbors....
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 5:54pm
Like you, we debated the RDome.  Looked at one set up.  Ultimately decided that we did not need it for our style of camping (weekends), our  wind (we are just south of you), and I need shade where ever I sit.  We bought an EZ Up last year, so it's portable.  However, its's not tall enough  to put it up  against the  pod door.  It's a personal decision.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 5:45pm
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:39pm
The dome extends your space...it's really nice to have and worth the trouble to haul, maintain, setup and take down. I like the option of being able to sit outside in the rain and have cover, left, right, and overhead. Smile

Heck if you shut the dome down on all sides and button it up tight, you can sleep out there or use as a guest room. 

If that is not something you enjoy as a camper, then realistically, you could sit outside under several other types of covers. Many people have easy ups or home made awnings with overhead cover only.  
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm
After setting it up a few times, you will be surprised how quick it can be down.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 2:42pm
I would never Pod without my dome.  If you get used to it most owners will be dome users for life.

It's just an initial hurdle for some as they think it has to be closed up all the time or too time consuming.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>