R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMobile/responsive version of site?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobile/responsive version of site?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 10:15pm
As a huge fan of this community I was wondering if there is any plan to make the site responsive or mobile friendly...or even tapatalk? The experience on my phone drives me bonkers. Does this web wiz offer an optimized version upgrade?

I am a web dev so if there is any way I can help let me know...happy to donate my time.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:31am

Our benefactor runs forums and websites for a living, and we get a free ride on his existing servers.  Upgrades to the Web Wiz software is up to him, we get what he's using already and when he has the time to make upgrades.  It has happened once or twice in the last 5 years.

Have you tried a different browser?  I've had issues with Opera in a few areas.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 10:59pm
I generally use safari on my iphone and I have to constantly zoom. I have done a lot of Wordpress and bulletin board upgrades in my time. I just thought if they needed someone to do a software upgrade and test it I am sure willing. I could probably knock out an iOS app if preferred...not really experienced in android tho.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 12:10am
Would be interesting to see a breakdown of users as to device used (smart phone, tablet, desktop) and operating system (iOS, Android, Windows, other).

Personally, I can't imagine trying to use a smart phone to scan/review any kind of forum.  Too many words, too little screen space.  But .. the kids these days sure seem to be able to use phones for just about everything.  Must be nice! 
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 7:15am
Wait until they hit 40 and their eyes go through "the change".  Wacko

podvader, I appreciate the offer, I'm a techie too, building and programming computers since the 80's.  Volunteered to maintain multiple websites for groups like Sierra Club over the years, and moderated several forums.  I've owned my own domain name since '99.  I ran my own server for years and it could be a pain at times dealing with the technical issues - patches, crashes, hackers.  I'm happy to not deal with that right now - although if things change I would find a hosting solution for this forum.  I'll ask if there is any upgrade planned but I'm not going to worry about it if there isn't.  We have it good - we could have ads on here for instance, so it is what it is. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
You bet...i totally get it.  No worries at all and not a big deal.  You guys hit the nail on the head though...I am 44 and even with cheater glasses I struggle on the phone.  Tapatalk is great for forum reading though!  

No big deal to just pull out the laptop and just glad to have the info!
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 6:13pm
I have throught that a mobile friendly solution would be nice as well. Understand if it is not. I use my Galaxy tablet instead of a phone. It is big enough for me to read the forum. Although I am having problems reading it right now on this 13 inch Macbook Air right now. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply