R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsurge protector - Event Date: 05 Feb 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: surge protector
    Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Podster

Originally posted by headcold

It looks as if all you have to do is cut the orange cable, strip the ends, and insert them into the surge protector.  Correct?

Yes, I read the install instructions and I think that's pretty much it. Locate the main power in, select spot, cut wire strip, then wire the box between and mount the remote display. Not bad. I'll put this on my list for a possibility to replace the one I have, when the time comes. 

That's it, longest part of your day will be maneuvering in whatever small space you have to place yours.
Abbagail54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 6:08pm
Hi, I have a 2011  182g I recently purchased the Progressive Hard Wire Surge Protector. I've always been mechanically minded, but not real good with Electric. I think I'm overly stressing on installing this myself. So I decided to check into having it installed. I contacted the local RV dealership (they don't carry R-Pods, but will service them). They told me that it will take 5 hours to install it at $114.00 per hour for a total of $570.00 plus tax. I can't believe it, I told them that I heard it only takes one hour to install. I even have the area already open for them to get into. They said, they could give me an actual quote but it would cost me $57.00 for that. I've heard of people having RV mechanics at different RV parks that would work on your stuff. How do you find one? Would you trust someone like that? Any other suggestions? If I do it myself, do I have to disconnect the battery before installing? I think I probably do. I was completely off shore power and about to cut the wire when I saw that some of the equipment in the pod had lights on them, so I didn't cut it, thinking I need to disconnect the battery first. I'm pretty sure I can follow the instructions and the youtube video I watched. I was a cable splicer tech years ago for the phone company, but I'm allergic to electricity (lol) so leary.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 7:45pm
It is dead nuts simple. The lights are on the 12v side, has nothing to do with the 120v system for this. Unplug from shore power. Cut the orange wire, orient the "in"and "out" sides of the surge protector. Strip your ends, Connect as color coded.. Running the one wire (can't remember, think it was the neutral) that does the cycle pickup on the "out" side.. close up. Fasten down.

Took me about 15 minutes to do my first one, maybe 10 on a friends..

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 8:38pm
Yup, it should be just that easy.  Certainly not 5 hours and I guarantee you that dealer knows it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:55pm
Did you guys take the junction box out and replace the surge protector in that area? That's what they said to do on Youtube.

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:56pm
The longest part of my whole process was moving a few things around to make room for mine.  After that it's just a few minutes of work.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Abbagail54

Did you guys take the junction box out and replace the surge protector in that area? That's what they said to do on Youtube.

I do not understand what you are asking.. can you link the video you found?

wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 9:00am
We bought this...

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp/73993

That and a master lock for the post to keep it closed. Never had a problem. I hate working with electricity and always think I'm going to burn things, including myself.
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 10:04am
   Don't be afraid if I was able to do it I am sure will understand it and get it installed correctly. You have plenty of good experienced help from members on this forum. I understand your being hesitant and cautious but when you are finished you will tell yourself it wasn't that difficult. I would stay away from the dealer who told you it would take five hours and that it would cost over 500 dollars to install. Make sure you are not connected to shore power and as a safety precaution I would disconnect the battery that may not be important but it wouldn't hurt. Make sure correct colored wires are connected properly. It's basically simple. I was told to buy a three light thing Smile to check the polarity making sure it is correct thats basically black wire to black wire and white wire to white wire and that the ground wire is correct. I bought the device ( three light thing ) from amazon but any hardware store builders supply store sells them. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 10:37am
My husband passed away years ago and he was an electrician, so I have all the volt meters, etc. So that won't be a problem. I had to use meters as a cable splicer, so I understand them. I just wasn't sure about the battery being disconnected. I'm sure that I can do this and save me some big bucks. Thanks for all your help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>