2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 3:53pm
Hogone, after reading your canoeing mishap all I could think was I hope they didn't hear any Banjo Music. Sorry, I could not help myself
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:20pm
We have been "camping" of some sort most of our 32 1/2 years of marriage. We started with a pick-up with a camper shell and an air mattress on a platform. Have owned 3 pop ups and 3 different travel trailers before we bought our Pod. Through all these units, we have finally figured out what is most important to us when we camp. Most importantly is discovering another part of the US and being in the outdoors and being unplugged. But we also discovered that we enjoy it more when we have just enough of "home comforts" to keep us rested. Like a nice warm (or cool) bed, the ability to cook indoors if necessary and a somewhat comfortable place to lounge when the weather is crappy. My feeling about it is - just do it. If that means a 500k super motorhome or a 2 man tent. Just enjoy. And don't think your way is the only way.
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by furpod

Just go camping the way you like, and enjoy.

Wink

I used to be so hardcore I cut the handles off my toothbrush. And didn't consider it a proper day in the woods if I met a single other person.

Now I carry TWO toothbrushes in the camper, and half my camping last year was at Pod rallies of one sort or another.

"Hike your own hike."
---------------------------------------------------
What?!  You carried toothbrushes when you went ultra-light?  Wink  Yeah, I went to some extremes too when I got bit by the ultralight bug.  Dropped the pack from over 40 to about 18 pounds for a weekender, including a starting load of water and 1 or 2 luxuries.  Could have easily dropped a few more pounds but I was happy... hiking my own hike.  Didn't go as far as cutting handles off, though.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:42pm
no need for two toothbrushes.  all you need is a pine tree branch and start scrubbing/brushingWink!!  oh yes, I have mellowed tremoundously over the years, thats why i bought the pod.  love the comfys of home.  and i agree missybuck, when were traveling and pull into a cracker barrel/rest area, its camping just in a different settingThumbs Up.  i will say though i do still really love solitude and the less people the better.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by MissyBuck

The reason I define our camping that way is I have been criticized by peeps who do the hardcore camping. And I agree, to me camping is also about enjoying being in the outdoors and enjoying nature.

No matter what the activity, there will ALWAYS be some people who think they do "IT" better than you do. You can't fix it, and you can't explain to them that camping is camping.

I hunt deer (among other things) and take advantage of all seasons...

In the archery world, you should hear some of the compound bow people lose their minds at crossbow people... And then the recurve people bagging on the compounds, and then the stick bow people bagging on them.. and then the "I built my bow and arrows myself from trees on my property" bunch bag on EVERYONE else.. etc etc.

In muzzle loader hunting it's the same thing.. in-line vs cap lock vs flint lock vs wheel lock vs match lock..... and don't even get to talking about the states that have made it a "primitive arms" season, or "black powder season".. lol

Just go camping the way you like, and enjoy.

Wink

I used to be so hardcore I cut the handles off my toothbrush. And didn't consider it a proper day in the woods if I met a single other person.

Now I carry TWO toothbrushes in the camper, and half my camping last year was at Pod rallies of one sort or another.

MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by techntrek

...  I guess what we techincally do is travel while sleeping in a travel trailer rather than a hotel, but we like to call it camping.   ... 

There's all kinds of uses for campers.  Camping, traveling, "hoteling", spare bedroom, we've done all of it.

I would say camping is when you go to enjoy the outdoors at a specific location.  When traveling it is used more like a hotel room - stops for museums, parks, events, etc.

The reason I define our camping that way is I have been criticized by peeps who do the hardcore camping. And I agree, to me camping is also about enjoying being in the outdoors and enjoying nature.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:51am

...  I guess what we techincally do is travel while sleeping in a travel trailer rather than a hotel, but we like to call it camping.   ... 

There's all kinds of uses for campers.  Camping, traveling, "hoteling", spare bedroom, we've done all of it.

I would say camping is when you go to enjoy the outdoors at a specific location.  When traveling it is used more like a hotel room - stops for museums, parks, events, etc.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:08pm
missybuck:  ok, i need to rethink this.  you will encounter rapids on these rivers.  several years ago i was on my first day of a 6 day 78 miler  on the upper jacks (which flows into the current).  this river is pretty narrow and flowing good!! on the upper section, came flying around a bend and yep, a root wad/tree right in the middle.  absolutely no time to react, hit that baby  and wrapped my canoe around this thing.  first thought was save the gear(which i do not tie in for this exact reason), which we did entirely with the exception of one paddle(which i always bring 4 of).  now was the time to salvage the canoe which i thought was shot.  and yes, we are in the middle of no where.  well after some serious planning, we got the canoe out and threw it on shore.  after about an hour of bending, twisting, pounding, bracing with some wood (oh ya, duct tape), patching with marine puddy; we thru the gear in and six days later pulled out in van buren.  oh ya, also found the lost paddle!!!  so long story short, depending on water level, you will experience rapids of various degrees however mostly 1's and 2's. i've experience rises of over 12 feet on the current (yes while i was on it).  i am not trying to steer you from these areas, just being honest of there potential.   i will be thinking and posting other options of the area as well.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 9:31pm
Hogone- we have our own kayaks and we mostly like to paddle around lakes and calm rivers. We are not into doing rapids and such. Haven't tried fishing from the kayak, but my give that a shot. We are not the "sleep on the ground" type of campers. I guess what we techincally do is travel while sleeping in a travel trailer rather than a hotel, but we like to call it camping. So, our kayaking adventures are just day trips. We also enjoy exploring any small towns in the area. Or any local attractions, museums, etc. Our main activity on our trips is hiking.   We are not too adventurous with our hiking as we are with our kayaking. We prefer well marked trails of probably no more than 5-6 miles. If the trails aren't overly strenuous, possibly longer.

As far as our ideal campsite - large, shady, near water or on the water, mountain view and full hook ups. Of course this is the dream spot, so all of these are negotiable. (But we do insist on water and electric)

And thanks again!

And once again - thanks!
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>