Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFall in TX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall in TX
    Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 1:44pm
Thought some of our northern friends might enjoy seeing a little TX color.  Nothing like our northern climes, of course, but at least there's a little bit of color.  Smile  Pix taken late Nov.

Texas, like many other states, is unfortunately overrun with ferral hogs.  Here's a batch on the side of the road not far from our house.  Imagine if this was your yard!  Wish I'd had my pistola with me; could have had some bacon & sausage .. Smile

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:22pm
Man those hogs look like the perfect size for a big old Bar B Q. Whole hog, baked beans and cold beer, Sounds like a podding perfect cookout.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 10:15pm
Mmmmmm, bacon.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 6:37am
luv2q:  wow on the hogs.  is there open season on those, i've read they are very destructive.  are they good to eat?  are they docile or aggressive?  just curious, don't know much about them.  bear are coming more prevelent in missouri, a guy hit a 600 pounder a month ago in the southern part.  they have been spotted 25 miles south of me.  i totally welcome them!!  pack "d" looked ruff last night.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by hogone

luv2q:  wow on the hogs.  
is there open season on those, .. Yes
i've read they are very destructive. .. Yes, very.  Look at the turf where they're rooting.  They really tear up the ground.
are they good to eat? .. Yes.  Most folks I know blend the wild pork with venison or domestic pork to make sausage or chili mix.  It's pretty lean meat.
are they docile or aggressive?  They're very reclusive but will go nuts if cornered or if their babies are close by.  My wife had an encounter with a big sow couple years ago while taking a walk.  Scared her enough that she doesn't take walks by herself much anymore.
just curious, don't know much about them.  bear are coming more prevelent in missouri, a guy hit a 600 pounder a month ago in the southern part.  they have been spotted 25 miles south of me.  i totally welcome them!!  I don't hear much about them in central TX though I believe they're somewhat common in west TX (Big Bend area).  So, no bears here but we have spotted a big ol' cougar a couple times over the years.
pack "d" looked ruff last night.  Yep, especially 2nd half.  Aaron had a pretty good game, though.  Hope GB can keep it together into the playoffs.  Would love to see them thump Jerry's Cowboys one more time!

hogone
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 5:45pm
We have family in Grand Saline, just east of Dallas.  Several years ago my wife's cousin showed me the results of the wild hogs "visiting" his hay field.  After a day's rain, it looked for all the world like flood damage.  He said they just shoot them and bury the carcass.  Around here the farmers claim that feral hogs carry diseases and infect the domestic stock.  I only know what I've been told, but anyway you look at it, they're a problem.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 7:51pm
so is open season 365 days a year?  of what i have been reading, it needs to be.  obtw, armadillos are around here now too.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 10:11pm
Dingo .. Yep, big problem.  Haven't heard of disease problems, but sure could be.  They're a dang problem any way you cut it.

Hogone .. Yep, no days off for the pigs.  Armies?  They're not much of a nuisance down here, nothing like the hogs. When you see one on the road, don't try to straddle it.  Dumb things hop straight up just about the time the vehicle's right above it.  They're blind as a bat.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 9:38pm
Hogone, you have armadillos In Missouri ? I am in Southern Indiana across the river from Louisville Ky and I think we are too cold for dillos. We do have Bob Cats , I have seen them in the past while hiking/hunting in the woods, Had one killed just 12 miles west of me yesterday evening. No feral hogs near me but I understand they are in the Evansville In area. I would like to have a 50 to 75 pounder and dig a big old pit and get a good hard wood fire a going and build some coals, then scrub it, season it, wrap it and put her on the fire . We have lots of Deer, Wild Turkey ( I saw 5 hens behind the house at 2pm ) and other assorted wild game. I want to go podding and cooking.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:46pm
Smiths, your pig pit roast idea sure sounds good.  Makes me think of going into hog-hunting mode .. but I'd really rather let my son-in-law handle that end of things.  To me, hunting is sometimes like skiing: I often prefer to sip my Jack Daniels & watch someone else do it!. Big smile  You say you have Wild Turkey? Heck, that works as well as Jack Daniels!
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>