R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR dome track fit issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R dome track fit issues
    Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:58pm
Kymooses-

The color of the dome tent is green (same green as the newest exterior) and beige. I thought it was really nice that it matched.

Tech - it would be so disappointing to me if they were being less than honest about contacting FR. As a matter of fact, when she relayed what they said (supposedly) she was basically quoting them - that this change is size was a complete surprise.

As an added interesting note - the photos I sent really do prove my case. I used an ruler next to the track and the keder for scale. It's pretty obvious something ain't right.
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 4:01pm
Missy,

I updated my earlier post to delete the names at FR. Those guys were actually at another company, but my advice stands. FR did have two sizes, as others have confirmed, and you somehow got the wrong one. Ordinarily this would be my opening for a rant on dealers .

Have faith. It will be solved.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 6:22am
Originally posted by MissyBuck

Kymooses-

The color of the dome tent is green (same green as the newest exterior) and beige. I thought it was really nice that it matched.

Tech - it would be so disappointing to me if they were being less than honest about contacting FR. As a matter of fact, when she relayed what they said (supposedly) she was basically quoting them - that this change is size was a complete surprise.

As an added interesting note - the photos I sent really do prove my case. I used an ruler next to the track and the keder for scale. It's pretty obvious something ain't right.

Having that color you for certain have the large Keder dome.  And considering you have a new dome I cannot see how in the world you have a small rail.  As I mentioned they do not even have the old rails anymore.  

I know you've looked at it yourself and taken pictures, but the keder on the dome will be much smaller than the rail hole that it goes into, it's the distance where the rail closes at the "C" part that should be smaller than the keder and holds the dome in place against the Pod.

Someone a few months ago was measuring and taking pictures and stuff with theirs too and said their's didn't fit only to find out they were measuring the wrong part and were a bit confused as to how it goes in.

I am not saying you've done this, but I would love to help you figure it out before hand if possible.  Would you mind emailing me your pictures as well?  rpod.spotter@gmail.com

MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 7:09am
Kymioses -

I sent the photos to you. Thanks for taking a look.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 7:55am
Is it possible that the dome vendor (Dometic?) used the smaller Keder by mistake? Maybe they still use the smaller one on some other product. Is it possible that FR used an even larger track by mistake? Maybe a larger one is used on a different FR product. Something doesn't compute here.

Kymooses: What do you see in her pictures??
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:08am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Is it possible that the dome vendor (Dometic?) used the smaller Keder by mistake? Maybe they still use the smaller one on some other product. Is it possible that FR used an even larger track by mistake? Maybe a larger one is used on a different FR product. Something doesn't compute here.Kymooses: What do you see in her pictures??

This is sort of the same question that has occurred to me. The "R-dome" is a name that FR has given to a product that is used on other campers as well. The directions in our dome were actually for a pop up camper, not a Pod. I was wondering if they make these for different manufacturers other than FR and this is one of those. Or like you said the wrong size keder was used in error when constructing it.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:21am
Originally posted by MissyBuck

Originally posted by CharlieM

Is it possible that the dome vendor (Dometic?) used the smaller Keder by mistake? Maybe they still use the smaller one on some other product. Is it possible that FR used an even larger track by mistake? Maybe a larger one is used on a different FR product. Something doesn't compute here.Kymooses: What do you see in her pictures??

This is sort of the same question that has occurred to me. The "R-dome" is a name that FR has given to a product that is used on other campers as well. The directions in our dome were actually for a pop up camper, not a Pod. I was wondering if they make these for different manufacturers other than FR and this is one of those. Or like you said the wrong size keder was used in error when constructing it.

What I see happening is the dome coming out of the track at some spots along the top.  The rail is just opened a bit too much at some points along the track and would need to be ever so lightly closed with some external pressure.  Appears to just need a bit of adjustment in some spots to close the channel more tightly.

I can't comment with certainty if Forest River would just advise the dealer to crimp it a bit to tighten it or if they would send out an all new piece of railing.  I would wager the resolution would be just to tighten it instead of removing and replacing the whole rail though.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 8:37am
The Dometic dome is not a product that they make exclusively for  forest river. It looks like it was originally made for popups. You can buy this product direct from a dealer. I wonder if the dealer purchased this one form FR or from their supplier. If you do a google images search on Dometic Cabana you will see these on all sorts of Rvs.

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:07am
Sounds like 10 minutes with a 6-foot ladder and channel lock pliers would solve it.  No dealer necessary.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:31am
Originally posted by techntrek

Sounds like 10 minutes with a 6-foot ladder and channel lock pliers would solve it.  No dealer necessary.

Yup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>