2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
fwunder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 9:11pm
Metal rack like Leo says is probably not a bad idea. I've just sat it on the floor. By the door when we're in for the night or anywhere it won't get kicked too easily. It will shut off if tipped more than 45 degrees, but I'd rather not run into it. I'm much more concerned about what's directly above and in front of it than below it. Henry, the campin cat, learned quickly to keep his distance.

As opposed to the electric heater, I wouldn't run it all night while sleeping or unattended when leaving the pod. You probably could, but I wouldn't. Also, particularly with the electric heater, I use the pod's blast furnace to warm the place up in a hurry. Easier to keep warm than to get warm, although the Buddy on hi will warm it up quickly and cook a few hot dogs at the same time!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Bonjour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 9:57pm
I see that the Mr Heater Buddy is approved for indoor use but the idea of burning fuel in an enclosed space seems counter intuitive. Do people feel comfortable going to sleep with it running - thinking fire or carbon monoxide?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Bonjour

I see that the Mr Heater Buddy is approved for indoor use but the idea of burning fuel in an enclosed space seems counter intuitive. Do people feel comfortable going to sleep with it running - thinking fire or carbon monoxide?

I have a couple of Mr. Buddys and I think they are great.  I have no fear of fire from them when used with a modicum of human intelligence.  I might feel differently if I was also dealing with a couple of dogs or little kids.  As for carbon monoxide, I think Mr. Buddys have a CO sensor that cuts them off.  I have never really confirmed that or tested it.  Pods have CO alarms.  I would certainly test that often while using an unvented propane heater indoors.  Still, I'm not sure I remember a heating season when there wasn't a news story about someone or even a whole family waking up dead from CO poisoning due to a propane heater.  I may be paranoid or just over cautious, but I don't care to go to sleep in a tight little pod with a Mr. Buddy running all night.  Maybe with the vent pretty wide open and a window cracked, which is a good idea anyway due to condensation.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by cody91

Thanks for the responses.  Any particular brands/models you would recommend? Are they quiet?

Ours is a "Holmes Ceramic Heater".  Very compact, effective, quiet.  I believe the currently available equivalent to ours, on Amazon, sells for around $32.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 6:57am
I wonder if anybody has refitted the POD with one of those heated mattresses, or maybe an electric blanket? 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:16am
Tas Tarkas is right they have a sensor that will shut them down if the carbon monoxide level goes above a certain level.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:57am
The Buddy also has a low oxygen sensor which makes it useless above 7,000 feet. Still a good idea to keep vent open and crack a window while using, in my opinion. The thing puts off so much heat you'd hardly notice. All-in-all, I'd still like to play with a hydronic heat system...

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 11:25am
.... must .... resist ..... tinkering....
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by fwunder

When plugged in, this little Holmes works very well for me:

But, it will be a hot day in Buffalo before anyone gets my Mr. Heater Buddy away from me.

fred

I agree this is a nice heater. I have it in my bathroom at home set to come on 30 minutes before I get up :)

This is the Holmes I have in my trailer when connected to shore power. It's small, quiet, and thermostat controlled:
http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Compact-Ceramic-Thermostat-HCH4051-UM/dp/B000V50GI0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1R0CCCGNH7ME5ZJECA0R

I also carry a small Crane to connect when we're outside. The beauty of this one is that although it does not have a thermostat (only low and high settings), it runs on only 600W on low! Amazing heat also:
http://www.amazon.com/Crane-EE-6490-Space-Heater-1200/dp/B0026IC2CI/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1416748548&sr=1-4&keywords=crane+heater

And if that's not enough, I also have a Lasko 100 that we run all day long to keep the space at our feet under the table just right:
http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyHeat-Personal-Ceramic/dp/B003XDTWN2/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_y

We carry a lot of stuff :(

JD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>