R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGFCI Intermittent trip issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GFCI Intermittent trip issue
    Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:03pm
Hi All,
We have a 2013 176t. I am trying to diagnose an intermittent issue with the GFCI. The problem is that it trips periodically. I'll make a long story short, but hopefully not leave out important details. I think I am dealing with a lot of red-herrings and coincidences that are throwing me off from diagnosing the issue.

The GFCI has only ever tripped while "camping" at Disney (ft wilderness). 

The first time it happened, we were plugged into the 30amp with the AC blowing (Florida...) and the fridge on ac, and lights on the exterior plug. I reset it, good for a short time, then tripped again. I unplugged the fridge then reset the GFCI and it was fine for two days (before going home). I dropped the Rpod at lazydays dealer on the way home. They tried to figure out the problem, decided to replace the board in the fridge, and we hoped everything would be good.

This weekend we were once again at Disney in a full campground (always proud to be the smallest camper in a sea of monster RVs). The GFCI tripped again with no ac running but with the fridge running and lights connected to the exterior outlet. I unplugged the fridge, and could not reset the GFCI. Unplugged everything from the outside outlet and still could not reset the GFCI. Tried several time. Also tried unplugging the 30amp, still no luck. 

Now it gets weird or red-herring territory - the next day, after many of the monster RVs moved out around us, the GFCI could be reset and stayed that way for a day before we left.

So, what do you think the problem is here:
1. Problem with the power in the campground (remember this is Disney).
2. Problem with the GFCI - are there actually good and bad GFCIs?
3. Could it be a problem with one of the outlets attached to the GFCI - maybe the exterior outlet was damp the first day and then dried out after that?
4. Other thoughts?

This is perplexing, so any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Landry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:07pm
As an unrelated point of interest - we towed our rpod for 1.5 years using a 15 year-old Honda Odyssey. This time was the last and the transmission was clearly not happy with its experience (we knew we were running it into the ground). Got 15 years out of the odyssey so we just bought a 4wd Pilot EX-L. Wish us luck...
Hayduke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:28pm
My guess is that it's not actually the GFCI.  I think it's a situation of low voltage.  We had a similar thing happen to us a few weekends ago when the power went out at our campground.

I don't think the GFCI is connected to the outside outlet.
2012 177 HRE
2017 Tacoma Double Cab
Landry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:40pm
The GFCI is actually connected to the outside outlet - the outlet even says GFCI protected. This is why I am stumped whether the issue is voltage related to the campground or possibly moisture in the outside outlet. My next step is to pull the outside outlet and look for signs of corrosion. I wish the rpod didn't tie many outlets together into that GFCI. 
R-Pod 176T
Pilot Ex-L
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
My first thought is low voltage.  Certainly a possibility if everyone in the campground is running their A/C.

My second thought is a loose wire on the GFCI or on one of the downstream outlets.

Finally, I suppose it could be a wonky GFCI.  If it's frustrated you enough, the price of a new one might be worth replacing it.  Personally, I'd swap it with one from my house.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 10:26am
First a question, have you ever had this problem when plugged in at home or at another campground?  I agree it could just be a bad GFCI, but if you've never had a problem when plugged in elsewhere then it probably isn't the GFCI.  As a rule, when they "nuisance trip", it is usually because there's a real problem somewhere.

Second, order the NCVT that fwunder linked to.  Also buy a plug-in outlet tester (that has the 3 lights).  The later will cost about $10.  Then see the link in my signature.  The first item in the list that pops up will explain how to use the NCVT and plug-in tester.  USE THEM EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PLUG IN - anywhere, even at home.  I almost killed my kids before I started doing this.

My hypothesis is not low voltage, but either a problem with the wiring at Disney, OR a problem with wiring of one of the other RVs at Disney.  Yes, a wiring problem with another RV can cause problems with your RV.  The other possibility is normal current leakage from things you have plugged into the GFCI circuit.  If your phone charger is leaking 3 ma (normal), and your laptop power supply is leaking 2 ma (normal), then you are just at the 5 ma trip limit and anything else that leaks a bit will cause it to trip.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Landry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:30pm
Thanks for all of the good advice. Now that the question was asked, and I think about it, the problem has only occurred at Disney. BUT, at home I only plug into a 20amp and we have only been to one other campground (don't laugh - we have a 7 year old daughter and annual passes to Disney). 

Question - is there any type of device that we can use to protect from voltage issues if the problem is indeed at the campground? You say that problems with nearby RVs could be a problem for us. If this it true then what can we do about it? Any thoughts?

BTW - I still plan to check out the downstream outlets in the rpod to make sure there are no problems there. Complicating matters is the fact that we park the rpod at a storage facility to avoid the tight squeeze we have had trying to park in our small urban lot. This makes troubleshooting that much less convenient.

Thanks
R-Pod 176T
Pilot Ex-L
Landry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:37pm
Sorry, one more question - it appears that the GFCI in our 2013 rpod does not control the outlets where we plug the phones/chargers into nor the TV or Jensen system. Issues on these outlets would not impact GFCI, right? I assume a different circuit.

Camping at the Disney Ft Wilderness is an interesting experience - our little rpod with spacious rdome is surrounded by massive trailers and RVs with people watching 42" or larger flat screens outside. Sometimes it can be surreal...
R-Pod 176T
Pilot Ex-L
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Yes, a wiring problem with another RV can cause problems with your RV. 

Doug,

What do you have in mind here? Other than overload or shorts, which should trip their breaker, I can't think of anything.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>