R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedheating and cooling options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dsmiths View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: heating and cooling options?
    Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:54pm
Good Point Furpod.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:30am
I have said it before and believe to be an absolute truth..

It's much better to have a great dealer than a great camper, one can be fixed...
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 2:24pm
Well said and great advice.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 4:04am
Originally posted by green18

If they would have just said "let me find out" or "yes we specifically order this type" instead of "i don't know what your problem is, this is the only setup Forest River offers".  Like I said, maybe just a little touchy from my last really bad experience.  This is one more reason I really like the r-pods...the strong community to tap into.

It would be nice to develop a relationship with a dealership where you could really trust in the answers you were given.  Sadly, that seems pretty uncommon.  In fact, product knowledge by most of the RPod sales people we encountered seemed very limited.  We learned to just dig & dig for answers.   There are plenty of great resources, including this forum.  No need to rely on, or be disappointed by, a sales person who's less than pro.  
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 1:20pm
Just stay away from that dealer in the spring!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 12:37pm
Haha, now they say if I want the digital they have one of those in the older exterior colors.  Amazing after being told there was no other type.  I realize it really doesn't matter and I am not going to get hung up on it any longer but I think I will just step back for a few months and start the hunt again after the first of the year.  Thanks again for the sounding board!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Cankicker

"The heater had the cheap Grope and Hope control which I immediately replaced with an inexpensive digital unit".
[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me what you used? Is it a standard home unit?

[/QUOTE]

I used a LuxPro PSD010BF thermostat, but they are now superseded and hard to find. However, any digital non-programmable battery operated single stage heat thermo rated for 12-24 volt systems will work. A newer model, LuxPro DMH110, is available at Amazon, Lowes, HD, etc for 20-30 dollars. It has a fan switch, but that will not be functional with your heater. Other brands like Honeywell have similar models so it becomes an issue of personal preference and availability. The interface to the heater is a simple two wire 12 volt circuit. The heater contains its own relay, fan control, and cycle logic. Even an old style mechanical thermo will work, but then that's what we're replacing :)
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:56am
Thanks furpod....I thought I read a thread where people tried to upgrade their thermostat to digital and it was not an easy thing to do on the AC with controls?  I also thought I read impressions that stated the newer units were a little quieter (i realize it is all relative, its going to be noisy) than the older units.  I sort of assumed the older units would be the one with the controls but maybe I am wrong.  I wish I could compare them but that seems highly unlikely.  If you are suggesting there is no real difference in performance, noise, etc. I believe you and it is probably as close as I will get to a comparison.

I had a really, really bad experience at a dealer when I bought my toy hauler so I might be overthinking this a little bit but I just really wanted it to be a good experience this time.  If they would have just said "let me find out" or "yes we specifically order this type" instead of "i don't know what your problem is, this is the only setup Forest River offers".  Like I said, maybe just a little touchy from my last really bad experience.  This is one more reason I really like the r-pods...the strong community to tap into.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:02am
There won't be any difference beyond the placement of the controls. In fact, the housing where the controls are on the a/c, is exactly the same as the housing on the ones with a wall mounted thermostat, minus 2 holes and 2 stickers.

I agree though, my bet is the dealer is ordering without a/c then adding it, either to save money, or because a large enough percentage of buyers in Iowa don't want a/c in the first place...

I would be bothered way more by the "not really sure" type answer to your question, then the control location. Unless it's some GINORMOUS dealership, everyone there knows whats what.

When you buy a replacement, or new, a/c unit, you buy the unit itself, and the inside panel, separately..
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by techntrek

I think 2011 was the last year for the analog thermostats.  I prefer it, like you said, simplicity.

I can see that.  I am sure it works well and might even be preferable.  I just want to dig in and see if I can figure out if there are other differences between the actual units (noise, etc.) before I move forward and this late in the year I might as well wait until spring.  Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>