R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddewinterization ettiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dewinterization ettiquette
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:22pm
We are 1st time camper buyers and just purchased a lightly used 179 (in fact it isn't even picked up yet). I don't think we will have the chance to use it in Minnesota this year so we are now making plans for a maiden voyage to the south when the snow blows in.
The camper will be winterized when we leave but needs to be dewinterized when we arrive and then rewinterized before we return. Any advise on where and how to do this task so as not to annoy, irritate, and offend others? I'm mostly thinking about water and pink stuff that might run on the ground.
Thanks
p.s. - I appreciate all of the useful advice. This is a great forum.
Bonjour
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:14am
Water and pink stuff both are fine to run onto the ground.  The antifreeze is non toxic.  When dewinterizing I"d just grab a campsite with full hookups, and clean it there.  If at a campground even though it's non toxic they may not want you dewinterizing right on the ground in camp itself, so I see what you mean.

I'd say just do it at a dump station too but on a site with full hookups you'd have a bit more time to do it at your pace.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 11:28am
It will all just go into your waste tanks so nothing to worry about.  Except maybe an outside shower, then just use a bucket or pan to collect the waste.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bonjour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:49pm
Bonjour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:50pm
Thanks for the advise. That makes sense to me.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:32pm
We wash it out at a campground with full hook ups.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:35am
It's going to depend on the campground.  With full hookups you can dump straight into the sewer with no issues I suppose.  At some campgrounds, all of the National Park campgrounds in the Great Smokey Mountains, for instance, you'd have to do it at the dump stations because you are not allowed to put any waste water (grey or black) on the ground.  The rules don't always coincide with what people actually do.

As for the flushing the antifreeze into the grey holding tank, that's true, except you may want to flush the whole system, including the potable tank; maybe not if you are going to have hookups.  If you do a whole system flush the grey tank will have to be drained.  And still, you will need to open the low-point drains to get rid of any anti-freeze there.  Depending on where you are, you can drain those into a bucket.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

The rules don't always coincide with what people actually do.

That is the truth!   We just returned from a week at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a unit of the National Park Service.
Lots of rule violations, generators running outside of posted hours, tents in the RV loops, chainsaws being used to cut firewood, even had a side x side or ATV running around one night, didn't see it but for sure heard itAngry

I've been going there for at least 40 years and it used to be when I camped there one would see the Law Enforcement rangers riding through often. 
Never saw one that week in the campground and we were there quite a bit, also was there once in the spring and once in September, never saw one on those trips either.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
blondie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:35pm
Did you check with the rangers and the department about this? Was there a way to contact them when this was going on? We camp in state parks in a Midwestern state and have always been able contact the park rangers or the local police would come out. Some campers set off fireworks and were kicked out of the park.

We stayed at a private campground where people were walking through our site the first day. We blocked it off with the picnic table and informed the staff. No change so then we insisted on talking to the owner directly. Still an attitude that it was our responsibility to handle it. We left and did not give a good review. Then the true owner found out and sent us a coupon for 2 free nights. But no phone call.

Rules are only good if individuals self regulate and if the owner/etc. backs up the rules and laws.

Communication is best, I would talk to the owners/people who run the campground.
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:33am
Rangers like that are missing everywhere. Just another casualty of the Great Recession and the tea party. If it wasn't for the non paid volunteers we see at the national parks I don't see how they could say open. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>