R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddewinterization ettiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dewinterization ettiquette
    Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 5:30am
To answer a few questions and comments-
The campsite we were in had no cell coverage, so no, NPS wasn't contacted.
There was no host at this campground, he left in June and was never replaced.
The non LEO Ranger was informed of some of these issues when seen the next day, his comment was- We'd have stopped it IF we had seen it.  Of course they are only there 8-5.

LEO Rangers were indeed present on the parkway and one was seen at the gatehouse chatting with the non LEO Ranger- but AFAIK they never bother to actually ride through the campground, at least we never saw them do so.

Stating the Tea Party is responsible for the lack of patrol in the campground is ludicrous, and that is a nice way of stating it, that won't get me kicked off the forum.Tongue

BTW the NPS was just given the OK to increase entrance fees.   I always found it interesting that the most visited park in the US, the Great Smoky Mountains,  does not charge entrance fees.

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:56am
I read somewhere recently that the road in the Smokies was owned by the state, and when they turned it over to the NPS they stipulated that they can never charge a fee to drive on that road.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 10:08am
I agree that any sort of enforcement presence is almost totally lacking in the Smokies at least.  I see some really flagrant rules violations and other bad behavior.  And there is no way to deal with issues on an immediate basis other than with confrontation or trying to ignore them.  They blame lack of supervision or patrols on lack of funding, but it appears to be more of a matter of resource allocation to me.

Much of the land for the GSMNP was donated by the people of NC and TN -- children donating pennies, literally, and the states have roads running through the park that they didn't want to become, essentially, toll roads, so the states made free entrance to the parks a condition of their gifts. 

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
wildfire305 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:24am
On the other hand, we were in Michigan - Van Buren last year, and they do not fool around up there with the rules. Discretely consuming any alcohol was advised by the rules and absolutely no noise after 11. I had my one beer in the cozy, however, the group of underage party kids were ejected automatically and promptly at 10 the first night they were there. Two left in the back of the Rangers car.
Our campfire banter was advised to turn down the laughter at 10 another night (it was the women's fault).
Still a great place and plan to return 2015. We have close friends in South Haven.
2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8
OLD Tow Vehicle 2004 Honda Odyssey
2015 RP179 "73b"
OLD 2005 Viking Saga 2480ST popup
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:27am
When I made reservations this summer at the nearby Clifty Falls in Indiana, I was asked if I wanted the louder playground/tent loop or the quieter rv loop. So, at least they're trying to separate.
2015 RP179 "73b"
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:39am
Camp hosts aren't always the best person to be nearby. I saw the camp host at Miami Whitewater tow in a 30 ft decrepit monstrosity with a front wheel drive Cadillac of similar condition. He must not have liked the way it was intended for the site and parked it sideways on no less than 20 cinder blocks and a large tree trunk. After that he ran 250' of hose to the bathhouse for water and had some contraption for reaching the dump station the same distance. Then a golf cart showed up. It was very entertaining and he was the exception, all the other campers seemed respectful. Including the first time young'ns next to us. I got to help them start their first fire.
2015 RP179 "73b"
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:44am
For the original poster. You should be fine with a site with full hookups and three gallons of the pink. Bring a bucket or pan for the low point drains and put it back in the sink or toilet. Follow the instructions in Techs post for winterizing and your process should go smoothly. Someone should post a link to that... I don't know how to do it from my phone.
2015 RP179 "73b"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 1:37pm
Link is in my signature, below.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12