R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod 178
    Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:31pm
Hi Everyone,

New member here!  Just wanted to get your advice. We currently have a 2007 Fleetwood Westlake we bought new in 2007. We love the trailer, however with two girls ages 1 1/2 and 5 the setup is a drag. We were at a dealer the other day, actually to check out Lance trailers and mainly the Viking 17BH, but we really liked the 2015 RPod 178. The size inside was bigger than I expected, and the booth would sleep the two girls nicely. I talked with the salesman and had him run some numbers. Not sure I want to pull the trigger as this is obviously not a necessity, but the initial offer was 20804 out the door, including giving us 6500 for the trade that we owe just about 6000 on. I like the trade valuation, but it still seems high. Just for reference I'm not sure of all the options it had but I know it was Hood River Edition with a TV and a few other goodies. I know this is the initial offer and I'm sure I can Haggle some more, but it's a big step to take considering we are dwindling down what we owe on the popup. We live in the Phoenix Metro area if that helps any. Thoughts?  Thanks in advance, and thanks for letting me be part of this awesome community!

Tyler
RescapePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:09pm
I just bought a new 2015 Rpod 179 with the risers (option that is on the hood river edition)for $17,500.00 A net with trade of 20,304.00 sounds 2500-3000 to high.. I bought my unit in Barboursville wv
2015 R-Pod 179
2013 Chevy K1500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:03pm
Welcome.  I want to be sure the numbers aren't getting mixed up (which car salesmen and RV salesmen love to do):

R-Pod price $20,804 (just the cost of the camper, no trade included, their quote should NOT include tax, tags, title, etc during negotiations)
Westlake price $6500

Not sure which model you have, but looking at the retail prices for a 2007 Niagara on Nada Guides, I would expect you to be able to get $8000 in a private sale if your camper is in good condition.  Dealers will always low ball you on a trade-in since they need to clean, repair, and build in a good profit margin.

If the price above is correct for only the pod, that would be just about one of the highest I've seen.  If that price includes the trade-in deduction, then that salesman must be smoking something he purchased in Colorado.  What is their "sticker" price, the one they show on their website?  You should expect them to go down to about 2/3 of that price.  Go to Couch's website and get a quote from them.  That quote should include all options.  Then negotiate with your dealer - including all options - until they won't budge any more, then drop Couch's price on them.  I would expect them to settle for about $500 more than Couch's quote.  If not, have Couch's deliver one to you, which will be roughly $500 more than their quote with delivery (very rough estimate based on shipping prices I've seen mentioned here).

So, assume Couch's quote is $16,500 (just a guesstimate, I have no idea what they would quote for a 178).
Assume you would get $8000 in a private sale.
Adding $500 to Couch's quote, I would expect your out-of-pocket cost for the pod to be $9000, plus tax (on the $17,000), tags, title.  Roughly $1500 more for those costs.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tylercq View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:34pm
Thanks techntrek. I see what you're saying. To clear it up, I have the Westlake-Destiny Series. Not quite a Niagra but in great Shape. I think private party would net about 7000. I still owe +-6100. So his quote was giving 6500 for the trade, paying off the loan and applying the extra to the trailer. Total amount financed, "including Taces, registration-everything"-would be 20804. I think all he did is bump up the price on the trade and didn't discount the unit. The same unit was listed online for 18980 at their other dealer on the other side of town. So as I said I think he inflated the trade and kept close to that price and added taxes, etc. I figured it was high but I haven't even tried negotiating yet.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:16pm
Definitely sounds high.  Get that other quote I mentioned and then good luck with the negotiations.
Juniper49 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 12:36pm
The salesman is trying to confuse a good purchase price with a trade in. I purchased a 178 last month and couldn't believe the difference in prices among dealers. A good rule of thumb is take 70% of the Retail/sticker price and work from there to fine tune.I ended up going out of state to save over $4,500 off my local dealer price. Bought from Cheyenne Camping Center in Iowa.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 5:59pm
Your salesman is way out of line.  We bought our 171 HRE new in June of 2013, without the tv or antenna.  We had the dealer add dual LP tanks with auto transfer, a $200. gel cell battery, installed an Everpure water filter which I provided,  for $13,500 from a local dealer.   I realize they are not the same model but the markup is substantial.  Techntrek gave you the very best advice you could receive.  Follow it and you will be quite a bit richer, rather than the dealer.  Unfortunately, I find many of the RV dealers are no better than a sleazy used car dealer.  Buyer beware.  Good luck and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 12:56am
If you request a quote from Couches be sure to ask about the Hood River Edition.  Several people in the Western US have said good things about Blue Dog RV in Idaho.  I bought mine from Motor Sportland in SLC and had a good experience
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
Escape Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:09pm
We purchased a new 178 in July...but not the Hood River model. It included everything ( TV, microwave/convection oven, r-dome, etc). We drove it away from the dealer in Virginia for $15,900. We decided on a new 178 and that was the closest to us. Good luck with the negotiations.
Jim and Diane
2014 RPod 178
2011 Silverado 1500 Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:24am
I should add that I came across a quote I got from Couch's a year ago.  They had a 178 on clearance, and were asking roughly $12600.  Almost exactly what I paid for my 171 five years ago! 
 Post Reply Post Reply