R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHit the reset, which rpod would you pick now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hit the reset, which rpod would you pick now?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 8:07pm
hogone, the water tank isn't always in the rear on the pods.  On the 171 it is well forward of the axle.

greene18, kind of funny, we just moved to a 26' 6000+ pounder.  The week we picked up our 171 they announced the 177, and it is likely we would have gone with that if it had been an option.  Now I probably would go for the 178.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 6:24pm
I haven't been in one but am interested in seeing a 179.  But the only real change I would like over our 177would be a walk around bed.  I don't think the 179 has that so I will keep what I have.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:38am
we love our 173. Our biggest change has been to remove the jack knife sofa in the rear and replace it with a folding bed with storage underneath.  We no longer have to use the dinette for our bed.  see our mods for this change.

we use our pod mostly for long distance, multi-week travels for just the two of us.

Vann and laura

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 9:43am
4 seasons down in our 177, possibly would do a 178.. but not sure. The 177 has been perfect for us. Interestingly, we went AWAY from a 31 foot 7000lb TT for the pod. 
Whatmud View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm
Not sure about the stools, maiden voyage this weekend!
Debbie & Larry
2015 181-g
Knoxville, TN
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 7:55am
Sorry I misunderstood the toy hauler question.  True, I never loaded it heavily in the back but I have never really had any "problems" towing.  In other words not much sway and the truck handles it ok.  It is hard to describe but it is just not comfortable or enjoyable.  It is almost like the other poster said...I just hate hauling that much length and weight around.  Adding the tow mirrors each time, the weight hitch, backing it into the storage garage, blah blah blah.  I love the space inside but at the same time I just don't need the space inside.  I spend most of my time sitting outside the door so the r-dome will be perfect.

I think I am narrowing down to the 178 or 182g.  I may need to sit in them again.  If I remember right the 178 felt nice and open inside with the extra windows and space.  That garage though!
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 9:35am

We have a 181G and love it!   But there are only two of us camping.  So we do not need extra beds. 

Regarding the stools - we put a bungee cord around them, hooked on to the storage net under the table. Otherwise the stools fall over and slides around on your floor.   The table is adequate for two of us to eat a meal there if needed (i.e. if it is raining outside).

Regarding the garage - WOW - we really like the garage.  We have an E-Z up that we put up behind the garage and set up our table and chairs and LIVE outside all the time.  My husband designed a cantilevered bracket that he secured onto our grill/stove operating off the LP system, and placed the grill/stove in our dry sink in the garage.  That way we can pull it up when we use it and put it down and cover it up when not in use.  We wash all our dishes back there.  Also with the extended hose we could wash off anything else that needs rinsed off.    We have a toaster oven up on the wall rack, it is securely mounted and we do not move it inside when we travel.  Of course we have the TV back there and even sit out in the dark and watch movies, just like the olden days pretending we are at the Drive-In.

As stated before there is plenty of storage space in the 181G, considering the wardrobe and drawers for our clothes and lots of space under the bed and the outside storage areas.  Oh, yeh, husband added a 4th shelf to the shelves section.  That way we each have 2 shelves and 2 drawers for all our clothes.  
Note the 182G does not have a wardrobe and drawers, you have bunk beds instead. 

So our choice remains the 181G.  Smile  
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 7:42am
We have 182G. The garage is totally garage and not used for outside cooking. With organizing water and electrical hoses, etc. there, this opens up the compartments for grill, dome, screen room, etc. We upgraded the lower bunk to a foam mattress that cuts easily with electric knife for a perfect fit. We removed the upper bunk mattress and there is ample shelf against the wall to store soft side totes for his and her clothing, towels and linens. I store nothing on the floor inside the Pod. The dinette gets lowered for another bed. As for storing in compartments, only use clear totes for visibility.
Row pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 11:25am
I also have the 182G.  Love the garage, used mostly for storing all the stuff you don't want inside. Do use the sink from time to time.  We use the grill at least 2-3 times on a 4 day trip, love having tunes playing while I grill.  We store our clothes under the lower bunk in rubber tubs.  Only have to open it once a day to get the clothes for the day out.  We have larger tubs in the back of the TV for kayaking and biking clothes and gear.  There is lots of under the trailer storing.  We carry the R-dome, homemade awning, blocks, chairs, rug and misc parts in the storage areas.  We love the dome and like many others have a small space heater that keeps it nice and toasty on the chilly mornings.  We did add a foam camping pad on the bottom bunk, and I have a self inflating sleeping pad (REI) that I added to the top bunk.  Simply deflate it in the morning and then lock the bunk up to give a more open feeling.  Good luck on whatever Pod you go with.....
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 3:30pm
Thanks so much for all of the feedback!  I spent about 2 hours crawling in and out of the 179, 182 and 178 yesterday.  This was a tough decision!!!!

I loved the 179 when you walk in.  It feels so nice and modern and HUGE!  At the end of the day I just could not stand the dinette.  I regularly need to sit 4 at a table for board games and it just seemed problematic.  That led to almost a coin flip between the 178 and 182.

I loved the open feeling in the 178, all the windows, the opening under the bed, the additional outdoor storage and ALWAYS having a queen bed ready and waiting.  It really seems like the smart choice.  I tend to not always make the smart choice which led me to choosing....the 182.

Throughout the 2 hour tour I continued to find myself just standing at the garage.  I don't know why, not sure what I was doing back there...my wife just kept finding me standing and playing in the garage.  I think there is just a part of me that would always feel like something was missing if I didn't have that garage...like I was missing my left arm or something.  Even though I much preferred the interior of the 178...I just couldn't let go of the garage.  I figure if I really don't like sleeping on the bunk I will just permanently (well, by permanently I mean the full trip) set up the dinette with memory foam and build storage into the bunks.

Thanks again to everyone, I should be officially joining the club on Saturday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>