R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 176 holes in floor not sealed at all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 176 holes in floor not sealed at all
    Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 8:59pm
Hi, just winterized my 2014 176 and noticed that the holes in the floor for the drains etc to the outside are not sealed. You can look through the holes to the outside. Was wondering if this was a common mistake in the rpod builds? Thanks.
RV --> 2014 RP176
TV --> 2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by NLPod

Hi, just winterized my 2014 176 and noticed that the holes in the floor for the drains etc to the outside are not sealed. You can look through the holes to the outside. Was wondering if this was a common mistake in the rpod builds? Thanks.

The Rpod, when properly built and finished, is almost air tight. You can tell by the difference in sound of the Fantastic fan with a window closed or open. However, FR seems to miss the sealing steps every now and then. This has been reported previously and really affects the ability to heat the Pod. I recommend you contact your dealer and have them fix this. No excuse, but it happens. Maybe early Monday or late Friday build. Unhappy
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:20am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by NLPod

The Rpod, when properly built and finished, is almost air tight. You can tell by the difference in sound of the Fantastic fan with a window closed or open. However, FR seems to miss the sealing steps every now and then. This has been reported previously and really affects the ability to heat the Pod. I recommend you contact your dealer and have them fix this. No excuse, but it happens. Maybe early Monday or late Friday build. Unhappy

Yep, that's the gist of it. All they use to seal those areas is some of that minimum expanding foam. Dealer should take care of it for you.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:45am
i bought a can of that foam if needed.  is that stuff difficult to use, or pretty simple and straight forward?  never used it before.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:04am
General rule of thumb when using expandable spray foam - make sure you are wearing clothes that are only for working around the house.  If any foam gets on them (and it will find a way) it will never come off.  Been there, still have the nice shirt I was wearing... which immediately became a work-around-the-house-shirt.  Also make sure you are wearing disposable latex gloves for the same reason.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 12:35pm
Also, even the minimum expanding foam, expands a lot, put about 1/2 of 1/2 of what you think is needed.. lol.
NLPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 12:39pm
Thanks, just went to the dealer I purchased from and this will be covered under warranty. Things like this make me wonder what else was missed during assembly. Also, discovered that the lower seal under the slide-out comes off its track when I put out the slide Thumbs Down, will be fixed by warranty as well. Paid $20,000 for the pod and did not expect this.
RV --> 2014 RP176
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 1:03pm
nlpod:  please let me know what there fix is for the bottom seal on the slide; have tried various things to mine with no good results; it doesn't come all the way off, just the middle part.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
NLPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by hogone

nlpod:  please let me know what there fix is for the bottom seal on the slide; have tried various things to mine with no good results; it doesn't come all the way off, just the middle part.  hogone

Will do. Mine only comes off in the middle as well. Looks like it was off at some point when I put in the slide and now the seal looks like it is pinched flat.
RV --> 2014 RP176
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by techntrek

General rule of thumb when using expandable spray foam - make sure you are wearing clothes that are only for working around the house.  If any foam gets on them (and it will find a way) it will never come off.  Been there, still have the nice shirt I was wearing... which immediately became a work-around-the-house-shirt.  Also make sure you are wearing disposable latex gloves for the same reason.

LOL it's not really funny but I put a new door on the side of our house and used spray foam to seal it. I did not tell my wife and she got her good winter coat into it. I still cannot bring that up if I don't want her to get mad. I also was not wearing gloves when I did it and learned the only way to get it off was to take the skin it was stuck to off. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>