R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalem-mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salem-mod
    Posted: 31 May 2015 at 10:29pm
Doug, looks nice!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:47am
Thanks, I've been busy!  And more to come... shelves in the closets, tires & wheels coming any day, bearings & tires to be lubed/installed later this week (at a dealer), new smoke/CO/LP detectors, and more.  I want to get it all done early this year.  The last 2 summers I was killing myself between camper and home chores right up until we left for vacation.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:43pm
Two more upgrades, this time courtesy of the local dealer.  I bought the tires + wheels online and had them install them since they were greasing the bearings.  Of course they charged me $50 to swap the wheels even though they had to take the wheels on/off anyway to do the bearings.  Ummm, yeah.  I also had them check out the toilet, we were having an odor issue on the last trip and I thought a seal was going.  They thought it was just the sewer vent caps.  I could have done that for $10!  Oy.  

I like the new tires, it felt like it rode better, didn't bounce around as much.  6 ply vs. 4 ply with the old tires.

Oh, and one gratuitous shot of our new kitten asleep on my shoulder.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 7:00am
Somebody got a new furry friend! Thumbs Up

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 7:35am
She looks quite content!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:11am
My black tank roof vent is close to my bathroom fan opening, also. I've noticed when the wind is blowing right, I get vent odors if my fan is not running. I have to either close the vent or turn on the fan.

Your mods are looking good!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 3:15pm
New kitten - my wife watched someone throw her out of their car in a heavy rainstorm, when she stopped to see what it was, she came home with a new cat.  She is great, loves attention and was easy to house train.

Vents - dumb design to put them right by the vent, yes!  But in this case we smelled sewer gasses inside the bathroom with the fan on.  The service tech said there was a gap where gasses could have entered the wall from above (??) so hopefully it is fixed now.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 3:26pm
I forgot a few more mods from the last few days, no pics for these.  New baskets in the shower for our shampoo, new shelves in the closet the kids share so they can keep their stuff separate, new LED replacements for the tail lights (brake + running lights), new CO and LP detectors (both were well past their replace-by date).  I bought a new smoke detector but it turns out I still have a year or two left with the current one so I may put the new one in the garage, where I've been intending to install one for years.

I still have a long punch list so more to come.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:33am
Do you have a recommendation regarding the tires you purchased? I am into the 6th year on mine and plan to replace them next spring. I have 6 ply now (made in China)and have had no issues.

I upsized my old MaxAir vent cover to the MaxAir II and the new one does flow a lot better. Also, it eliminated a low level "howl" noise (like blowing across a soft drink/beer bottle).

Also, both of my batteries gave up during Memorial weekend. (Also, into their 6th year) Fortunately, I had the generator with me. They would go flat in less than 24hrs.

I am also wondering what you purchased for your brake/running lights?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:05pm
[edit 9/25/16, do not buy Taskmaster.  The tread started wearing unevenly immediately and less than a year after mounting them two of them detonated within miles of each other (I had 2 spares, happily).  Replaced with D-rated radial (the ones below were bias) tires and after 8000 miles cross-country there was no odd tread wear. Brand is Duraturn.]

The tires are Taskmaster brand which I bought through eTrailer, pre-mounted on the wheels.  For older steel wheels I think that is the way to go - I worry about rust causing problems with the bead but that could just be paranoia.  I think I got duped though, etrailer said they were 6 ply which I thought was odd for C rated tires, but the sidewall says they are 4 ply + 2 ply on the sidewalls.  That is what I expect for C rated tires.  I probably should have held out and found D rated tires knowing now that I still only have 4 ply.  That said it felt more solid on the drive home than it did on the old tires.

A howl would be ultra-annoying!  Did you have true deep cycle batteries?  I would expect them to last longer than 6 years.

The marker lights on the sides, and the combo tail/running lights were just random suppliers on Amazon.  I paid about $11 total for 2 orders of 10 for the marker lights (of course I only needed 11 so I have 9 spares).    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00877SL2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My only minor complaint is since they are all cool white lights and much brighter than before, the marker lights that are orange are a bit washed out now.  More yellow than orange.  No real difference with the red lenses.  But really since the point is visibility and they are brighter, I'll deal with the color change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>