R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease, your thoughts on Ill-fated Pod trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please, your thoughts on Ill-fated Pod trip
    Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 3:48pm
Dry camping in NW Montana, we were surprised by snow and a couple of unexpected below-freezing nights and one day of high temp 31 degrees.  Tried to keep heat in Pod >50 degrees, but during 2nd cold night temp dropped to 24 degrees and in the morning water was frozen.  Checked everything once I was home running water through everything including hot water tank and all seems to be well.  My friends Casita was fine, but there is carpet on everything including walls and ceiling.  I have been disappointed in the apparent lack of insulation in my pod.  So lesson learned--my one and only "winter camping" experience.

I have close to 3400 miles on my Pod--11 total trips over 2 summers.  On the way home from above trip, I glanced out the rearview mirror and noticed trailer wheel seemed to be tilted out.  Coming upon a turnout along the highway, my friend following me came over the walkie talkie saying smoke was coming from my wheel, then flames.  20 miles from nearest (little) town, I unhooked, drove back to Eureka and found a tire shop.  Long story short--I ended up having a complete brake repair by the side of the road.  The wheel bearing was completely gone, the brake shoes had grooves worn in them, the spindle had been chewed up and fortunately the guy was able to file it smooth enough to fit whatever had to fit over it.  He checked the lug nuts and they were tight so that wasn't the problem.  He said it was way too early in its life for this to be happening and thinks something wasn't right from the factory.  He took the other tire off and checked that and it was fine.

I will be taking the trailer to the dealer next week to have them look at it again and make sure all is well. Next spring I'll be going on a 4000-5000 mile trip to the Southwest.  Does the above experience mean I'll need to have my wheel bearings checked mid-trip?  Would appreciate any and all thoughts on the above problems, especially regarding the wheel.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:05pm
Oh wow, so sorry to hear this. It's a good thing your wing man was there to help with the early detection of the fire. It could have been much worse. It's hard to say exactly what caused it. It may have be dried up bearings or maybe a sticking break. I would keep a very close eye on this. This situation could be the perfect scenario where one of those cheapo laser temperature guns could be used to monitor the temperature of the hubs. Best of luck and safe travels.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 9:24pm
It's certainly not a normal thing that happened with your wheel bearing.  I've watched a lot of owners travel cross country in one season and not have any dire issues like that.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 9:46pm
What a nightmare!  Glad it wasn't worse.  I have one of those laser thermometer guns and use it at every gas and rest stop to check, brakes and tires.  There are never any guarantees though.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:10pm
Its odd you had a problem keeping the inside of the pod warm.  I've camped down to 10 F, two different winters, and kept my pod warm with a small space heater set on low.  Certainly the LPG heater can keep it comfortable w/o any effort.  Which model pod do you have?  If its a slide out model its possible the seal isn't right which is letting in a lot of cold air.

I agree on your axle issue - that isn't normal, and if very rare.  Maybe the bearing wasn't lubed right at the factory, or sticking breaks as mentioned.  My pod has over 15,000 miles (re-lubricated every 5k) with no problem.  That includes a 7000 mile trip this past summer and a 5000 mile trip last summer.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:10pm
Hey TT, what temperatures do your hubs run at?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Podster

Hey TT, what temperatures do your hubs run at?

I wanna say around 100°F, or a little more maybe.  I pay less attention to the temp than the difference between the hubs.  They are usually within 10° of each other.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
janice View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:32pm
It's a 177 and does have a slide-out.  I probably just needed to crank up the temp, but with one propane tank, I was a little worried about running out even though I'd had it filled before the trip.   I have no idea how efficient the furnace is running on propane and it seemed to be running a lot and not getting up to the temp I'd set it.  Another problem seems to be the furnace placement under the bed.  The dinette end stays much cooler.  Have placed a bin on the other side of the furnace to try and deflect the heat, but will have to look into something more efficient. 
janice View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:40pm
And thank you all for the tip on the laser temp thermometer and checking brakes.  I hate being a girl about this, but can someone send pictures of how/where to check the temps using a laser gun?  Confused   I suspect I'm not the only one who needs this info. I can see this is something I need to worry about during every trip. 
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 11:08pm
the fresh water outlet on our 151 is small and exposed to the air. I insulated it as well as the fresh water tank to minimize the effects of cold nights. Sounds like your wheel bearing was not properly lubed or the preload was too high. I had a front wheel bearing go on my e-150 a few years back, now once a year I inspect them just for a sound mine. 
enjoy the fresh air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>